G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What GM Part (non Colonnade) upgrade mod have you added to your car that you like the most?

+5
Hs1973
dynchel
thatfnthing
Doozle
alowerlevel
9 posters

Go down

What GM Part (non Colonnade) upgrade mod have you added to your car that you like the most? Empty What GM Part (non Colonnade) upgrade mod have you added to your car that you like the most?

Post by Doozle Sun May 22, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm sure you've done this right? You find yourself sitting in someone else's GM car and see an option that their car has and you think to yourself, " I'd like that on my car, I wonder if it'll fit/work?). For example the 73-77 colonnades came with the single dome mounted interior light mounted in the center, nothing wrong with that that's how all of them came with. Well I'm sure some of you have thought about or actually swapped this out for the better mi-late 80's Chevrolet Caprice chrome center light that also has the two map lights as well, right? "Or" you might have simply swapped out your plain rearview mirror for a mid 90's Chevy/GMC S10-S15 rearview mirror that also has the two map light option as well instead. So have any of y'all done anything like this on your car in order to make it more comfortable or pleasant for you to drive? I'd like to keep this limited to GM Parts only mods for just right now if'n you don't mind. So what have you all done to your colonnade along these lines?

Doozle
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

What GM Part (non Colonnade) upgrade mod have you added to your car that you like the most? Empty Re: What GM Part (non Colonnade) upgrade mod have you added to your car that you like the most?

Post by alowerlevel Sun May 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Does using the engine from a 2000 Chevy pickup count?  Very Happy  
Cause my LS swap is the mod I like the most, and I did it with almost 100% factory GM parts.
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

What GM Part (non Colonnade) upgrade mod have you added to your car that you like the most? Empty Re: What GM Part (non Colonnade) upgrade mod have you added to your car that you like the most?

Post by Doozle Sun May 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Sure, why not. I was actually thinking of smaller options but many car enthusiasts are starting to do these types of mods now!

Doozle
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 am

No particular order:

o  ABS (93 Caprice)
o  Overhead console (95 Blazer)
o  Power windows/locks (77 Cutlass)
o  Power side mirrors (98 LeSabre motors, 98-02 Camaro switch)
o  200-4R trans (80's G-body)
o  TPI (86 Camaro)
o  Dual electric fans (98-02 Camaro)
o  Pontiac G6 steering wheel (04 G6)
o  Electrical system (93 Caprice)

That's just the GM stuff. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Doozle Mon May 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about. Are most of these upgrades as simple as "find part then install" or is there more too it then that?

Doozle
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon May 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Nothing is ever as simple as 'find part then install', since the systems are all designed by the factory to work together.  Change one thing and there's a domino effect of changes you will have to tackle.  If you want easy swaps, you will have to stick mostly to what was available for the G3's directly, or aftermarket products designed specifically to fit G3's.

For example, the easiest of the above list would probably be the 200-4R.  To have OD, it's as close to plug-n-play as it gets -- by itself.  It fits like a glove and bolts up easily to the engine and crossmember.  You even get to re-use your driveshaft with no mods.  However, to do it right, you will now need to get higher rear gears.  You will also need to redo your e-brake cable because your crossmember needs to move back to the TH400 position on the frame.  You will have to work out the TV cable connection to your carb/throttle body and calibrate it, and you will have to futz around with your shifter cable/linkage and possibly the speedo connection.  You will also have to rework the coolant lines. If you want torque converter lockup, you now also have some wiring to do.

It gets progressively harder from there.  The sky's the limit for what you can do, though, if you're not afraid of the extra work.  And sometimes (for me at least) it's about the puzzle. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue May 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Impala SS rear sway bar, ford contour v6 dual fans.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue May 24, 2016 2:10 pm

Bigger Trans cross member ( future plan's LOL ) Impala SS rear sway bar, Better Shocks, Still debating on the front SS drop spring's (not sure yet) Trans am front sway bar, Have another rear end I will be working on to upgrade to 3.42 gears when done (was free with the gears to get out of dudes shop) <== Have parts

Maybe if ever get rich will do back disc's brakes <<=== Plans

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 pm

I did the rearwiev mirror from my old s10 with the maplights. It fits direktly on the glass and only needs a little wiring to work. Looks Nice. I also Got the 350c trans with lockupconverter in. It fits like the old 350 no changes what so ever. Ad a toogleswitch switch and you Got lock up, Nice on the highway. Only a 350c is hard to find they are from the malibu 78-80 i belive. Also i for the original swivel seats that also is Nice to have also the gauge cluster with Tag and gauges instead of idiot lights.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Wed May 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Impala SS springs and 81 Vette aluminum wheels. The springs are alright but it needs to come down so I'll get some of the 2in lowering springs.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Wed May 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Rear aluminum disc brakes (3rd gen Camaro)
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Damon23 wrote:Impala SS springs and 81 Vette aluminum wheels. The springs are alright but it needs to come down so I'll get some of the 2in lowering springs.

Damon you have the SS springs on Already ? and that's the 1" ... I ask for that's what I have waiting in the wings

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Wed May 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Not the fronts. Just in the rear. I think another inch would be better.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 25, 2016 5:57 pm

oh I have the fronts Let me know how you like them

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed May 25, 2016 10:28 pm

'95 Impala SS 1" rear sway bar
'78 Trans AM 1.25" front sway bar (I think the year is right)
'75 Malibu swivel buckets & rear bench w/ console (still working on the floor shifter) car was a bench seat car
early / mid '80s Camaro wheels
8.5" rear end with Posi and lower gears (it's a GM but don't know what year or what it's from)
355 SBC rebuilt motor from '81 truck (I'm sure this counts Smile )

Hope this helps, did you want the wish list of GM goodies too ?

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down