G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bumper thread?

4 posters

Go down

Bumper thread? Empty Bumper thread?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 pm

I can't find it.

I thought we had at least one pretty good thread around here that addressed the bumper interchangeability throughout years, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Question on the Chevelles:

I know that the 73 front and back bumpers are different from the 74-77 in every way. BUT I keep looking at pics and it looks like the 74/75 front and REAR bumpers will swap over to the 76/77 (even though they are a little smaller) without a ton of mods....right?

And the 75/76/77 taillight panels etc will all swap without changing the trunk and corner pieces...right?

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Bumper thread? Empty Re: Bumper thread?

Post by Hawk03 Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:10 pm

Here's a thread I started with some info
https://www.g3gm.com/t9463-76-77-malibu-back-side

The '74/75 bumper will fit on a '77 but the bumper fillers will need to be modified to work. The top lip on the 77 bumper is a lot longer than the 74/75 bumper and the bumper fillers need to be extended to cover the bumper struts. To use the rear tail lights from a 74/75 on a 77 you will need to weld in the tail panel. The 75 trunk lid is slightly different from the 74/75 as well. You also will need to use the corner or quarter panel extensions from the 74/75 to make the tail panel work too.

I have a '74 bumper on my '77 and will show pics of everything once the car is painted.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 am

75 can be used Bobby on the 77 there is just a small different in the lip of Trunk lid and Tail light ext's But the Tail Panel it self will allow you to Choose between the 75, 76 , 77 Tails If you want the 74 Tails Like Hawk said you have to Change the Tail panel section to a 74 As the Holes are different for the Tailights

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:58 pm

My plan is to use a 74/75 rear bumper on my 77 and then drill out the shocks anyway, so the filler shouldn't be an issue...correct?

Now all I have to do is find the bumper. Smile

No real plan to change the tail lights, but I couldn't remember the details. I am thinking about switching to 75s, but I like the 77s just fine too.

The Malibu has been on the back burner while I've tinkered with the other car.
I miss it.
So it's time to get back on it.

My problem is that I like every year 73-77 and I hard time trying to decide which parts of each I like the best.

I'm working on the wheels and the suspension next, then I'll tackle the body stuff.

I've been staring at that Laguna nose again. Dammit.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Let me help with the Laguna nose dream. They all crack and make your paint effed up. Your welcome.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:21 pm

If I weaken and put it on and that happens, then I'll put the 74 stuff back on. Or the 77. Or the 75.

Dammit. See? Very Happy
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:12 pm

I can't help you if you are just going to talk yourself into a situation. Smile
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna