G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

short windshield

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

short windshield Empty short windshield

Post by 73ss Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:22 pm

I got my car back from getting some paint work and a new windshield. I put the wipers and the plastic grill back on and realized something wasn't right. It looks like the replacement windshield is to short. The paint guy didn't realize it because I took the wipers & grill off before I sent the car to him. the wipers sit up to high. If I try to lower them anymore they will fall off the edge of the glass. The glass comes up short of the rubber stops at the bottom of the glass. Has anyone else had this with a new glass? Could this glass be for a later model? Is a 4 door different? The paint guy is going to replace it but we are trying to figure out why it is short. If my memory is correct the glass I had came from a 77 monte carlo. This was installed when I had the car painted 20 years ago. Thanks for any input

short windshield DSCF2100_zpsfzunoatjshort windshield DSCF2101_zpszgnjg3ho
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

short windshield Empty Re: short windshield

Post by Joe73 Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm 99% sure that the 4 door windshield is different. I'm willing to bet thats what you have. Maybe some can measure their windshield height and post up.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:49 pm

Ecklers chevy parts lists the same windshield for coupes, sedans and wagons.  So I dont know about that.

But on ebay, they specifically mention 2 door coupe ONLY. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Windshield-for-Grand-Prix-Chevelle-Malibu-Cutlass-El-Camino-Sprint-/131830864065?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Hollander Interchange confirms 2-dr and 4-dr windshields are different. Any of the "A" body 2-drs would fit.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:09 pm

I think you'r right Joe. Here's another one that lists 4 door only. This one kinda looks like what I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1973-1977-Chevelle-Malibu-Cutlass-Grand-Prix-Windshield-Glass-Window-4drHT-/141735578379?hash=item2100194b0b:g:pnIAAOSwpDdVNWpK&vxp=mtr
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks for looking that up Mcarlo77. I wonder what is different in the cowl area between 2 & 4 drs?
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:30 pm

Your windshield should come down to meet the top of that stop just to the right of your wiper arm in your second photo (see my photo below).  Also, it should extend down below the upper "cuff" of the cowl screen; making it impossible for the blade to fall off the glass (see my second photo...I lifted the wiper arm off the cowl screen for the photo). My photos taken from original windshield on my '75 Laguna.

short windshield Chevyw11

short windshield Chevyw12

Last edited by Mcarlo77 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:33 pm

I tthink what's different on a 4 door is that the glass sits a little more vertical hence the shorter length.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:14 pm

My cuff is dead even with the bottom of the glass. I do recall the old glass touched the rubber stop as well. The glass supplier probably does not list a 2 & 4 door version. Thanks for the help guys... Also Joe, those emblem pics you sent me a while back were dead nuts on. The body guy found the original holes. They were filled in. He didn't have to break the paint or drill any holes. he used a punch and found them. Thanks again..
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Awesome. Your welcome.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Joe73 wrote:I'm 99% sure that the 4 door windshield is different.  I'm willing to bet thats what you have.  Maybe some can measure their windshield height and post up.  

Make that 1000% Joe its Not the same and I will Almost Guarantee that is what that is .......... Monte would be same I had a monte Glass Installed in My Green 76 I had and fit was Nothing like this

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down