G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interior Dyeing

5 posters

Go down

Interior Dyeing Empty Interior Dyeing

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:15 pm

I know some new interior pieces can be bought new and I might do that, but my question is which interior pieces are the most successfully dyed? Is there a chance the dye will rub off on my new Colonel Sanders suit? Any comments on new pieces that don't fit right? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Interior Dyeing Empty Re: Interior Dyeing

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:00 pm

The only stock-looking interior trim pcs that I'm aware of that are available new are "A" pillars (black only), lower door panels, headliners/sunvisors, carpet and seat covers (all in various colors).  

Personally, I've only colored hard plastic (SEM) and seat belt straps (actual dye put in boiling water).  Actually, the seat belt straps were really only freshened up with black dye.  Tried changing colors once and it was a disaster as the fabric isn't porous enough to absorb a different color altogether.  And, I'm leery of spraying them with SEM as I would think they would become somewhat stiff and/or flake from frequent flexing. No experience with seat covers.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:16 pm

I redid the all the plastics in my '79 Z28 with the SEM stuff. Yeah you can call it dye but it is more or less paint. Prep is the biggest thing. If the panel is chaulky then forget about it. Clean the stew out of it, use a adhesion promoter (I used bulldog) and thin even coats. Turned out fantastic. I even redid the rope steering wheel and if you know those wheels you know all the crevices they have. No wear whatsoever in the 2 years I owned it after I did the work.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:00 pm

I followed Wally's directions for painting interior plastic and they have come out good. I used SEM Firethron Red on the cluster bezel and used Dupli Color white Vinyl and Plastic paint on the A Pillar. I used SEM soap, adhesion promoter and low luster clear on the a pillar as well. I painted it today so I don't have any comments on how long it lasts but the paint laid down good. I will be using Dupli Color for all of the white interior pieces since there are a lot of them and Dupli Color is half the cost of SEM. I will SEM for any Firethorn pieces.    

https://www.g3gm.com/t5617-painting-interior-plastic

Interior Dyeing Apilar10

Interior Dyeing 20140911
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:57 pm

Can I have the Part number for the Firethorn red or Where yu got it ?? I am getting close to the Point of Needing it
Thanks Hawk and Looks great

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:33 am

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-15113-Firethorn-Color-Coat/dp/B000PL06GC
Hawk03