G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ITM vs Hurst decision

3 posters

Go down

ITM vs Hurst decision Empty ITM vs Hurst decision

Post by RossK73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:35 am

I am having a bit of trouble with my factory ITM shifter. It binds in Reverse and locks the tranny up. The shifter moves and it seems like it goes into first gear but the engine stalls because I think the tranny tries to go forward and backward at the same time. All other gear changes work great.....when I finally get it out of that "no go" gear! Wondering if there is an easy fix to this or should I go with a Hurst?  I have a good "Competition Plus" 3915401 with shifter but the Hurst site has conflicting details on if it will work or not. Anyone help with this?
Thanx, Ross
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

ITM vs Hurst decision Empty Re: ITM vs Hurst decision

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Before anything, I'd put it up on ramps or a lift, have someone inside the car operate the shifter. While you watch from down below. See if the trans levers are moving the correct amount to fully engage a gear. Or if maybe a shifter rod got bent.
The factory ITM shifters are ok, but once they get some wear they become sloppy. They can be taken apart and freshened up but I've never done one. To me, the hurst is always the better option.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Ross hi I did a thread on here of how I refurbished my ITM shifter. It will be an improvement, but of course will never match the Hurst performance. I am searching for original ITM shifter and would buy yours if you decide on Hurst
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by RossK73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:36 pm

I would like to keep the car all original but it isn't much fun either if the shifter binds up and takes out some gears. I'll get it up and have a look underneath soon. I read that thread Kevin - may have to go thru that procedure.
Joe - do you know if the 3915401 would be compatible with the 73?
Thanks guys.
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Are you running a muncie or a saginaw trans?  

I think your hurst shifter will be fine.  I've installed lots of hurst shifters over the years and never even questioned whether they will work.  They are pretty much universal except when you get into offset handle mounting.  If your handle mount is vertical it should work.  
Hurst shifters are easy to work with since it basically comes down to the installation kit and what handle is used.  
I have a muncie, I bought my car with a competition plus installed.  Handle number is 6836 which hurst lists as working in our cars (with a muncie) and my handle mount on the shifter is vertical.  Pretty much universal.
The installation kit accounts for the mounting position of the shifter itself.  My competition plus is mounted directly on the factory shifter mount.  If you take a look at the link below you can click on the shifter handle and see the dimensions of it as well as the offset to fit out cars.  

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/products/3916848-manual-shifter-competition-plus/?mk=47&yr=1973&md=21448&sm=176&e=0
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Now if you want to keep it looking original but still use the hurst, here's a shifter handle I've found long ago. It looks similar to our stock shifter but mount with two bolts onto hurst shifters. So you could have the best of both worlds.

https://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=3365

Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RossK73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:30 pm

That "show car" shifter looks like my original - nice! I have an M21 due to the big block configuration.
The handle that is on the Hurst that I found at a flea market is straight - I think it is meant for a Corvette but would probably work. So you think I can bolt that right up to my M21 with the existing bracket?
I discovered that the reverse lever on the bottom of my ITM was binding on the top of my cross member!....not sure why this would happen but maybe it can be adjusted.
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Yes, the hurst should bolt right up to your existing bracket. When you go under your car take a measurement of the itm shifter mouting bolt spacing and compare it to the hurst. Should be the same.
The straight stick should work fine. I actually prefer the straight stick. I've been running a hurst super shifter III since the 80's and it has super short throws and an 8" stick.
As for your reverse lever hitting the crossmember, check the tranny mount. It might be bad. If it looks ok, see if you can jack up the rear of the tranny a bit. The mount might separate which would also be bad.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down