For sale...1973 SS tribute car Just finished!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For sale...1973 SS tribute car Just finished!

Post by lastcoupe on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Bill, I joined this site about 4 years ago and posted some pictures of the 1973 Chevelle coupe that I had recently acquired.  The car was super straight and almost rust free but had been in a state of neglect for over 15 years.  I have spent my free time over the last 4 years building the engine and transmission and bringing the car back to life.  I recently finished it and I am ready to pass it along to someone who can enjoy it.  

The car has lived in WV and Ohio it's entire life.  It is currently with me in southern Ohio.  It has had 3 owners including myself.  It was garaged almost all of it's 43 years, but the second owner did park it outside for a couple of years prior to me getting it.  It is a VERY, VERY straight and clean car.  The body is 100% original and has never been disassembled.  The door, trunk and hood gaps are all as straight as the day it rolled off of the assembly line.  It was originally a 307 c.i. small block (I think) with a bench seat and no extras.  It did have power steering and brakes though.  The body and chassis are completely stock except for the addition of the "SS" emblems,  "454" emblems, air shocks on the rear and chrome outside mirrors from an Oldsmobile cousin car.

It had one repaint in 1996-1997. The car was originally a yellow-green color (sorry I don't know the color designation). It is now painted (a decent job but not anywhere near a professional paint job) with enamel. The color is also from Oldsmobile...1987....Dark Cherry Metalic.  The car still has the original 2-piece stainless steel quarter window trim.  The original dash pad is in perfect condition with no cracks.  It has plastic inner fenders and the correct double hump transmission crossmember.  It does have the SS specific tail lights and horn pad, but not the door panels.  The swivel seats and console are in excellent condition.  I installed new front seat covers and the correct molded floor carpet is also new. The rear seat and possibly door panels are from a 1976 I believe. The interior is also in VERY good condition.  The car does have one tiny spot of rust just to the inside of the RH backup light bezel.  Other than that the car is rust free and I see no signs of ANY body filler whatsoever.  

It does need a few things...the front windshield is cracked, there is no shifter cable for the floor shifter (I did drill the correct size hole in the correct location to route the cable through the transmission tunnel. It currently still has the column shifter), the buckle side of the front seat belts are missing and the belt molding on the doors need replaced.  

The engine is a 427 big block Chevy.  I had all of the machine work done by Watson and Ruppel Performance Engines in Sarahsville Ohio.  Dave Watson is a WELL known and respected racer and machinist/engine builder in this area.  I did all of the fitting, measurments and engine assembly myself. I am an ASE master re-certified technician with 25+ years experience and a lifelong Chevrolet enthusiast.  I started with a 1974 454 block (casting number 3999289 build date 4-15-74). It was bored .060" over and fitted with Keith Black hypereutectic pistons (#KB176.060) which are a +17cc dome piston. Together with the 1969 366 oval port, open chamber heads (casting number 3933148, build date 10-31-68) which have 122.1 cc combustion chambers they produce a 10.6:1 compression ratio.  The rings are Keith Black Chromoly #4250AM8.060 and I file fit them to the cylinders to yield a .028" gap using a .0065 ring end gap factor.  To get the 427 CI I used a forged steel 396 crankshaft (casting number 3856223).  With the .060" over bore it is actually a 440 C.I. engine.  The Crankshaft journals were turned .020" and I installed Clevite 77 bearings (#MB2403P .020" undersized) which plastigaged at .0026-.0028" on all of them. The crankshaft end play is .0062".  The connecting rods are stock 454 GM rods.  Watson reconditioned the rods and installed new ARP 3/8" wave-loc rod bolts (#135-6402). I installed Clevite 77 rod bearings (#CB743P).  The cam and lifters is Comp Cams #11-205-3 with .485" lift, 268* duration and 110* lobe separation.  Finishing off the internals is a Cloyes double row timing set, melling high volume oil pump (#96141A) and Melling steel oil pump drive coupler (#IS-77). The engine was filled with Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil.

It has a reconditioned Edelbrock Performer 2-0 intake manifold. A new Moroso 7 quart oil pan. A new Edelbrock 750 CFM carburetor (#1411). A new harmonic balancer, new HEI distributor with high output coil, new Accel 8.0 mm custom length plug wires, new acdelco plugs, new water pump and gates hoses, new fuel pump, new alternator, new transmission lines, new transmission cooler, new starter, new motor mounts, new battery, new custom made 0-AWG battery cables and all new felpro gaskets.  All of the original engine brackets, pulleys and fan were sand blasted, primered and repainted.  It has the original Harrison brass 3-row radiator from the big block donor car which was cleaned, pressure tested and repainted.  

The transmission is a 350TH. It was completely rebuilt and refinished. It has a kevlar band, red clutches, a B&M transpack street/strip shift kit and a B&M 2000 stall speed converter.  The transmission was filled with Mobil synthetic blend multi-vehicle ATF.

The exhuast consists of Doug Thorley Long tube headers with 3" collectors (they have been wrapped), multi-layer aluminum header gaskets and Summit Racing 2.5" dual exhaust with "H" pipe and turbo mufflers.

The wheels are genuine old-school Cragar SS/T. 14x7" front with decent 225/70R14 tires. 15x10" rear with new 295/50R15 tires.

I have broken in the new cam and driven the car about 60 miles total since finishing it.  It runs, rides, shifts and drives VERY well. It is NOT a race car or a show car.  It was built to be driven and enjoyed.  The engine has gobs of torque...any aggressiveness with the throttle from a dig will effortlessly break the tire loose. I do NOT believe the car has a posi rear end in it and I am also unsure of the gear ratio.  I will continue to drive the car occationally until it sells or winter comes.  The odometer currently shows 17,251 miles which I would assume is 117,251.

I am asking $10,500 for the car. I sincerely hope that someone on this site will buy it and enjoy it. I do NOT want to resort to selling it on Fleabay and end up seeing it on youtube with a 12" lift and 28" wheels under it! I do have some nice extra parts that I haven't installed yet including Impala SS rear sway bar, control arms and spindles from a big brake Caprice to use with 1LE rotors for a brake upgrade (I do not have the rotors). I also have some stock used replacement parts.  Ask anything you like, I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.  If you would like to see more pictures or want a quicker response, text me anytime at 740-297-1667.
lastcoupe
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: For sale...1973 SS tribute car Just finished!

Post by Limey SE on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 pm

I put this up On my Facebook group for you and Directed them back here

Management

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by lastcoupe on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:21 am

Limey SE wrote:I put this up On my Facebook group for you and Directed them back here

Thanks man. I have gotten very little interest in the car so far. A few decent trade offers, but IDK. Have any of you sold these cars before? Am I asking too much for it?
lastcoupe
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:06 am

I think your price is fine...and maybe even a little low. That car is the most "desirable" year and motor G3 for many people.

But it's not the best time of year to sell an old car.

I just recently unloaded a 63 Belair. I had it on CL most of the summer. I eventually took trade offers and interest picked up a little. I turned down offers for: A 74 MG, a "swamp truck", a 96 Camaro SS, 75, 77 and 84 Vettes, a 90s Suburban, numerous motorcycles etc.

I eventually swapped it for a 99 Jeep Wrangler worth about the same as the car.

There just aren't a whole lot of people that love the G3 as much as us, even though they are a lot more popular than they used to be.

The best prices I've seen folks get for ANY cars are thru Ebay. Yeah, I hate it too, but you get a ton of exposure and the money seems to be better.

If you can tolerate ebays silly rules and fees, and you can be patient with stupidity and non-paying bidders, you can usually get what you want for it.

Start with an Ebay classified. If that doesn't work, try an auction with a reserve.
You may have to post it 2/3 times, but you'd probably get what you want for it eventually.

Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:45 am

I agree with roadcaptain. Wrong time of year. Now you may have luck at a big venue like the Charlotte Autofair coming up in a couple weeks, the Moultrie, GA swap meet or at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. Matter of fact I've sold two cars at the rod run in Daytona and they weren't even for sale LOL!!!!! But these cars are up and coming. The more that get back on the road and in front of people the more the popularity will pick up and people will want them. You have to remember their are a lot of people out there that want cars but are stuck with the same ole usual stuff. But there are more people getting into cars that remember the cars of this era and want into them. People told me I was nuts for buying the 79-81 Z28's. The disco rubber nose Camaro's would never catch on. Those and the big bumper 74-77 Camaros. Well, price a half way decent one of those now and that was merely five years ago.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:55 pm

lastcoupe wrote:
Limey SE wrote:I put this up On my Facebook group for you and Directed them back here

Thanks man.  I have gotten very little interest in the car so far.  A few decent trade offers, but IDK. Have any of you sold these cars before? Am I asking too much for it?

No your price with what you have done to it is Spot on I believe and there is Interest in it on FB just no committed party yet its been a Favorite of 35 People and been shared 8 times and Two have Joined Here to view more pics of it So Its coming Just give it time ....Tuck it away for the winter if it doesnt sell at them spots you take it, Bring it Back out right after Tax time Adjust the price 200 or so either way and I would almost say it would be gone.... BUT MY SE would love that 427 OHH MYY man Oh well 305 lives strong LOL

Management

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by lastcoupe on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I'm looking at a Harley Davidson this weekend. Idk if I'll trade it for sure being that I REALLY need the cash, but the bike looks phenomenal in the pictures he sent me so we might just work out a deal.
lastcoupe
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top