G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headlight extension MOD

2 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Headlight extension MOD Empty Headlight extension MOD

Post by Joe73 Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:33 am

Just thought I'd share.  I had 3 out of the 6 self tapping nuts, that hold the headlight extension to the fender, "strip" or kind of.  They just werent holding well.  So I decided to do something about it.

I took (2) 4" long, 1/4"x20, grade 5 bolts which only had threads at the bottom 1 1/2" or so.  I pulled out the tap and die set and made them FULLY threaded.  Then I cut them into 1" sections.

Then I used a hacksaw to cut off each stud (only where the self tapping nut bites in) on the back of both headlight extensions.  Then I took a 13/64" drill bit and drilled a hole where the stud was located and went in about 3/4" inch.  Plenty of meat on the part below where the stud was.  With the stud cut off it kind of looks like a tower.  After drilling the hole to about 3/4" I proceeded to tap the hole with 1/4"-20 threads.  Use some oil for lubrication during tapping.  

After all 6 holes were tapped, I cleaned out the holes with some brake cleaner and blew them dry with the compressor.  Mixed up some JB Weld epoxy and put some in each hole.  Then I threaded in the studs I made.  Let dry overnight.

Installed the extension the next morning with a small washer and a nut that has a star washer built into it.  I also thought of using a nylon stop nut but found that wasnt needed.  

Just a tip I thought I'd throw out there in case someone runs into the same problem.  

Headlight extension MOD Extension%20MOD%203_zps7xa4sec6

Headlight extension MOD Extension%20MOD%202_zpskaaczlbd

Headlight extension MOD Extension%20MOD%201_zpsezwnhoap
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Headlight extension MOD Empty Re: Headlight extension MOD

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:35 pm

You Have been Stickied Joe EEWWWWW That sounded gross LMAO

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks Limey. I thought it was a.good idea.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down