G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping

5 posters

Go down

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Empty does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping

Post by 455GA Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 pm

my 75 has the factory power moon roof. the weather atrippig is cracked and dry rotted and the only reason it does not leak is probably do to the fact it has never been open in at least 30 years and the dirt has created a hermetical seal.

does any place sell replacement? or do i have to try and find a car that still has good weather stripping and pray it survives removal and installation?

i would like to be able to use the moon roof as it is one of the reasons i bought the car being one of only 109 built with it in 1975

455GA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Empty Re: does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping

Post by impalamonte Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:37 am

Most likely there is no replacement. I was faced with the same issue 20 years ago...luckily I was able to find an NOS piece for the three sides. I have only seen "a" piece once on EBAY since that time.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Empty Re: does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 am

It might be a long shot, but might be worth researching whether the same weatherstrips being sold by Tamraz will fit.  I notice they show them fitting '77 Cadillacs as well as '78 and up B bodies.  Of course, the chances of someone at Tamraz positively stating they WILL fit are probably slim to none.  But, seems to me GM used the same size and make of moonroof across the board for a number of years on most of their models.  I remember comparing dimensions on a '76/'77 Caprice vs a '78 Grand Prix years ago and was surprised they were the same size considering the Caprice was a full size car and the GP having been downsized.

http://www.tamrazsparts.com/77-88-gm-models-w-factory-astro-sunroof-sun-moon-roof-glass-weatherstrip-seal/

UPDATE: Just read on Tamraz's e-Bay site that they have removed the '77 Cadillac from their list of cars this will fit. So, may not be an option afterall.

Last edited by Mcarlo77 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:57 am

I've never seen one, but is it just a length of extruded rubber with no molded corners or ends like the trunk seal? If so, Metro and Soffseal sell extruded stuff by the foot -- maybe you can match it up...
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 455GA Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:37 pm

not sure as for me to fully check i would have to open it something i would rather not do right now as currently it is sealed

but here is a picture

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Ga6110

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Ga6211

455GA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 455GA Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:07 pm

ok so this is what it looks like i might be able to find some thing close and cut it to fit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-74-75-CHEVELLE-MONTE-GRAND-PRIX-GA-442-CUTLASS-HURST-NOS-SUNROOF-WEATHERSTRIP-/371217150352?fits=Year%3A1975%7CModel%3ALeMans&hash=item566e443190:g:C3EAAOSwj0NUiHwe&vxp=mtr

as i am not paying over 1,000 for 41 year old weather stripping that probably will not even seal any more

455GA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Well, the ebay one doesn't look like it has any premolded corners or ends, so it should be a question of finding an extrusion you can make work and buy it by the foot.  You may wind up opening it up to take a sample and send it to one of the weatherstripping companies to see if they can match it up.  

FWIW, digging through an old printed catalog of Metro's (they don't have images online of all their products, but the printed catalog still has them), a couple of universal ones that look promising (compared to the shape of the ebay item) are LP 57-F (hollow), LP 57-M (similar but sponge filled), and there are some that might be made to work with some trimming like LP 111-E.  It's hard to gauge size, though...
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 455GA Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:06 pm

for that cost i could always just by a foot of each and see how they look

but they do look really promising. and if i find one that works would help others in the future who happen to get a sunroof car

455GA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 pm

I bought both seals in the late 80s. I will look and see if I can get you part numbers.

I have been told that they only fit a vinyl top car
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:08 pm

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Moon110
does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Moon210
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:21 pm

does this exist? sunroof/moon roof weather stripping Img_0910

I also have this...
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 455GA Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 pm

yeah my car was a half vinyl (now no vinyl)

pretty sure the roof mechanism it's self is fine. where does the second weather strip go? i have not even attempted to open it

455GA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:01 pm

one goes on front of hole
the other goes on back of lid
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:11 pm

GM shows part number 9736550 for non-vinyl roof.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 455GA Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:32 pm

thanks guys

he says he has some so will see

455GA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down