New Fuel tank with Aeromotive Stealth system

Go down

New Fuel tank with Aeromotive Stealth system

Post by 74Malibu383 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:56 am

Anyone doing a LS/EFI swap in need of a fuel tank? This worked fine in my car, but I upgraded to a stainless tank a little while ago. It has the dual pump Aeromotive Stealth setup. If you didn't want both pumps running, you could always just run one, and keep the other as a backup... Any interest??? Willing to make you a great deal.

Brand New 1974 tank from OPGI, brand new factory sending unit, new style neck that accepts new style (clicking) gas cap. Only have 3500 miles on it (Power Tour).

Link to Aeromotive site
https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/new-dual-phantom/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18309/overview/
$726.00 on Summit just for the kit.

74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: New Fuel tank with Aeromotive Stealth system

Post by Wallyuph on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:10 am

Just curious why you have two fuel pumps. I did the same Aeromotive setup but only one pump on mine? I also had to bend fuel gauge float to get it to work. I still don't trust the gauge so fuel up Every 150 miles to be safe.

Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:42 pm

I went with the dual system because the single is only rated to 700 force inducted HP. I'm a good bit over that, so I wanted the extra insurance. I have it wired with a PWM so that one was on all the time and the other turned on under boost. Same deal now, but with the CTSV pumps.

I didn't bend my fuel gauge at all. If you look at the photos, I just turned the sending unit around. It's still as accurate as it ever was (not that stock sending units were ever perfect...)

No one interested????
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:31 am

I'm very curious, but I'm no where near the horsepower level, I purchased the rear end from you earlier this year. I could be a buyer if I could handle the sticker shock!
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Still have this in my garage.... and takers?
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Although i really like tue set up you have, it would blow my budget overboard
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Iguy on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:47 pm

I know this is old but is it still for sale?
Iguy
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:01 pm

It is
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

fuel tank and pump for sale

Post by 76 malibu mike on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 pm

price with shipping to Tomah Wi very interested and was going to build a set up for my car

76 malibu mike
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Iguy requested earlier today, so he has first dibs. I'll let you know either way what he decides.

74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:18 pm

sold?
73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Sorry. Sold. Just shipped it today. Been out of town and forgot to respond.
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks for reply. I've been looking at this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18201/overview/ & then I remembered you had your set-up for sale, although yours would be overkill for what I am doing. I am thinking about this or the holley blue pump. The aeromotive is hidden and should be quiet. I am so done with fuel delivery issues Mad
73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:01 pm

I'll preface this post with the following. I've run a Holley Red, Holley Blue, Aeromotive SS, Aeromotive A1000, and Aeromotive Stealth system over the years. I've had issues with every one of them. I'm currently running OEM style pumps, and below is all based on my own experience.

I'll say that this setup is great for a vehicle with a carburetor, or even FI if you don't have OEM expectations. What I mean is, the stealth system worked great for me, till I was below 1/4 tank and took a slightly aggressive turn. Once that happened, it would start to cutout. Now, if you're fine with filling up at 1/4 that's cool, and I'm sure it would be great. However, I do a lot of road trips in the car, and I like to have fun (spirited turns) so I was not ok filling up every time I got to 1/4. I've taken my tank down to 1 gallon or so of gas left, and had no issues, turns and all.

I also don't believe that the aftermarket pumps (any of them) are as reliable as OEM. You could say "obviously" and it might not matter to you depending on how far away from home you are. With me, if I'm going to break down in the middle of no where, I'd rather try to source an OEM pump. The initial cost is worth it to me instead of a tow bill...

Ricks is really taking it up a notch. Of course they don't have one for our cars yet, but these things are legit. My buddy has installed 2 of them, and they are awesome. Sure the sticker shock might be a little much, but the reliability is worth it IMHO. they use GM fuel buckets/pumps and corner pickups. Can't go wrong there.
https://rickstanks.com/product/restomod/

They also have weld in kits that would take some work, but same end result.
https://rickstanks.com/product/weld-in/

They can always make you a tank too, but we know that really puts some $$.

I'd also throw in that I am SUPER happy with my returnless style system that uses a VaporWorx PWM. It's some extra work wiring wise, but man is it cool. Fuel doesn't heat up running through the fuel rails, and the pump/pumps aren't singing at full song unless you need it. Regulates the voltage to the pump on the ground side, and only spins them as fast as necessary. It's instant, and the owner is awesome. Probably the best aftermarket support I've ever seen.
https://www.vaporworx.com/
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for the additional info. I was wondering if you had any issues with the pump being mounted toward the front of the tank. When you got down to a 1\4 tank and a good hard launch I could see the pick-up being un-covered for a moment or 2.

I don't think your tank would have worked for me anyhow. I think the filler neck is higher up on the 74? I'm going to loosen up my tank to see just how much room I have for that set-up mounted towards the rear.
73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Yeah, the neck is different.

I don't think you'll have enough room in the rear of that tank to put the pump in it. That's why the OEM bucket style pump is so great. Even if you make a hard launch, the entire bucket is still full, even when there's nothing in the tank.

I did weld a sump into a tank at one time. -10an line out the back to the A1000. I never liked the looks of it, but it ran great with the carb set up. Well, until my A1000 died on the freeway in El Paso!!! Luckily I brought a new one with me, and changed it on the side of the road. That wasn't fun.
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum