G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem replacing brake lines.

+3
Joe73
wbaker01
RobW
7 posters

Go down

Problem replacing brake lines. Empty Problem replacing brake lines.

Post by RobW Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:51 am

Hi,
I recently decided to replace the front brake lines on my 74 Chevelle 4 door.

I ordered stainless steel lines from The Right Stuff.  Unfortunately, I found the line that goes from the proportioning valve to the passenger side front wheel does not fit. Measuring with a string, the factory line was about 54 inches long. However, the replacement line was 59.75 inches long, with the bend pattern being different as well. Here are the specifications:  http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/cfb7303

Here is a picture comparing the two.  
Problem replacing brake lines. IMG_1017
Note that when removing the old line, I broke the tubing at the right fitting, so the intact line is about an inch longer.  

The extra length makes me think there is no way the line they are selling can fit any 73 or 74 Chevelle. However, before I try and correct the vendor, I thought I would post here to see if I was missing anything.  

Rob

RobW
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Problem replacing brake lines. Empty Re: Problem replacing brake lines.

Post by wbaker01 Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:46 pm

I bought a front to rear brake from them this past Summer and while it was advertised as being specific to my car, it was actually what I would call a generic type line and said that it fit 73-77 GM cars or something similar. Line ended up being about a foot too long. I ended up fabricating my own line.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact them or to do some Internet research on the part number you bought and see what you find.

I need to do my fronts as well but I'm installing a line lock so again, I'm fabricating my own when the time comes..

Good luck..

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:23 pm

I did all my brake lines, fuel and vapor lines from inline tube. They were almost perfect. Some slight tweaking and they went right on.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:04 am

Joe73 wrote:I did all my brake lines, fuel and vapor lines from inline tube.  They were almost perfect.  Some slight tweaking and they went right on.  

+1 on that. All of my tubes from Inline went in easily. Like Joe I had to do some tweaking but nothing major.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Bulk tubing, bender, and flaring tool is how I did all my brake likes.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:58 am

BBMALIBU wrote:Bulk tubing, bender, and flaring tool is how I did all my brake likes.

Ditto, since I was adding ABS. But if I had to do it again, I'd beg, borrow, or steal one of those hydraulic flaring tools -- the hand-crank ones are a huge PITA.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 am

I have this http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=CAL165&source=froogle&kw=CAL165&gclid=CjwKEAiAgavBBRCA7ZbggrLSkUcSJACWDexAbmXbPADbT9j6Rn8Wb27ZtPvzDTk_oMgXhB8Q0ukFghoCBbzw_wcB

Works very good.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:43 am

Certainly looks better than the one I used, wish I'd have known about it at the time.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down