Best mods for the Buck.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best mods for the Buck.

Post by Hs1973 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:53 am

If you had a budget of 1000-1500 dollars what would be the best 5 upgrades you would do to your chevelle to make it more driveble. Im thinking more moderne Feeling and making it easier to drive like an everyday car. Im looking for upgrades to the original braking system to make the bite better. And make it handle better. Of course i could just buy an entire Line of Bear brakes and suspension from one of the major suppliers. But first of all im on a budget like Many of you, and second i kind of like the old hotrod idea about finding stuff that works from other cars.

But i havent Got the knowledge or the experience and the fantasi to come up with anything other than buying stuff out of catalogs, so please share If you have any experience that can make my chevelle act more like a moderne car instead of just an old car. I know how she behaves and i know how to drive it, but im looking for it to be easier for my wife and daughter to take it out, and so you dont have to concentrate as much to drive it as i have to do now. Hope it makes sence what im writing here.
Hs1973
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Best mods for the Buck.

Post by thatfnthing on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:43 pm

Well, there's all kinds of things you can do to make it work more like a modern car, specifically electrical upgrades like delay wipers, power mirrors, power windows/locks, keyless entry, etc. All these can be done on the cheap, though you may need to upgrade your alternator and/or electrical system to handle it.

As far as mechanical stuff, better braking can be done with simple upgrades like bigger rotors/drums and such from other models, but if you're really after the modern-car approach, you could also add ABS -- mine cost me about $400.00 in parts.

Keeping with the modern-car theme, EFI would be the way to go for performance, fuel economy, and reliability.  However, that will easily exceed your budget unless you piece together the system over time.

Food for thought, anyway. Smile
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:13 pm

It sounds like you're trying to do the same thing I am Hs1973.
I'm planning on putting a bigger sway bar on the front from a 2nd gen Camaro (1 1/4"), a rear sway bar from a mid 90's Impala SS. ( I already have that), a steering box from a mid 80's Camaro with 16" wheels, (Z28 2 1/4 turn lock to lock), possibly springs also from the mid 90's Impala SS, B body spindles for a 12" front disc brake conversion with 3rd gen Camaro rotors, and a good set of shocks. All this with the exception of the rotors and shocks I will be buying used.

This should make my car feel and handle more like a modern car and be a lot more fun to drive. Also, it should be able to be done for under $1500 with some shopping around and visiting the local salvage yards, e-bay, and swap meets.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:01 am

Thank you for the ideas. Im going to Think hard and long about what upgrades im going to persue. I already have a new rear axel with posi and a rear swaybar on the Way. After that i Think a new steering box could be the Way to go, after that ill see what my budget and imagination will bring. Thanks again guys and If you have any other ideas, please bring them to the table.
Hs1973
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top