G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Sending unit Spectra FG107A

+5
Mcarlo77
Joe73
Jeff73SS
Hawk03
73ss
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

fuel tank sender - Fuel Sending unit Spectra FG107A - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Sending unit Spectra FG107A

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 am

Interesting that you seem to have an original fuel sender with the horizontal filter vs the repros with a more vertical filter.  I was wondering the same.  Why the change? Are the repros more efficent...less prone to clogging?

I've also been confused with the 2 & 3 pipe senders.  My '75 350-2bbl Laguna and '77 Monte 350-4bbl both are factory A/C cars and use the 2-pipe sending unit.  Yet, they also offer a 3-pipe for those engines.  And, as near as I can tell, the C.A.C. (Controlled Air Conditioning) refers to the Comfortron-type automatic air conditioning option.  However, these parts suppliers are mistakenly lumping all into either A/C or non-A/C.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

fuel tank sender - Fuel Sending unit Spectra FG107A - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Sending unit Spectra FG107A

Post by pila Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:54 am

Some systems have a return line to the tank, which is usually a 1/4 inch line, with the 5/16 line used for venting to the canister up front.

Kinda makes me wonder it the AC cars use the return line circulation to keep fuel cooler because of extra heat in the engine compartment, less chance of vapor lock (?)

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:21 pm

As I can see from pics of oem and repro units it seems like repro unit has shorter metal line inside the tank...will it take all gas from tank or not, that is the question
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 pm

builtnotbought wrote:As I can see from pics of oem and repro units it seems like repro unit has shorter metal line inside the tank...will it take all gas from tank or not, that is the question

I have that unit, and no it wont.

I've run out of gas with anywhere between 3-6 gallons left in the tank. My repo also only registers about 1/2-3/4 tank when full. I don't recommend the generic replacement.

Also my car is a factory A/C car but does not have the return line, all 3 76/77 cars I've owned have not had return lines.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 pm

Kinda strange that the factory didn't have a common sender to fit these A bodies. My '77 Elco had the three-pipe sender, as well as my '74 Malibu, but both are AC vehicles....

They must have save a dime by using different senders ! Smile

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:06 am

Rockauto says that SPECTRA PREMIUM/COOLING DEPOT FG110A is replacement for #6429288 but pic shows the same straight sock and short pipe sender...
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by John brown Mon May 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Looks like it's Forman 692-131 for me thanks everyone for the help.

John brown
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2