Spindle options?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spindle options?

Post by wbaker01 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Getting ready to reassemble the front suspension and finally took a good look at my spindles today. Other than being crusty nasty after 43 years, one has a decent groove where the wheel bearing/seal would ride.

Once again, I can't seem to find any stock replacement spindles (I don't want to go with a lowering spindle) and am wondering what my replacement options are for those who have researched this subject? I'm looking for a bolt in option preferrably..

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Spindle options?

Post by Joe73 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Bill, I'm pretty sure the 70-81 Camaro is a bolt in match.. should be easy to find.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks Joe..Looks like these models interchange - 1970-'79 Camaro, Firebird, 1975 Apollo, 1973-'77 Century, Chevelle, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Le Mans, Regal, Monte Carlo, El Camino/Sprint, 1975-'79 Nova, Omega, Skylark, Ventura, 1977-'79 Phoenix, 1976 Cadillac Seville with disc brakes (1977-'79 full-size Buick, Chevy, Olds and Pontiac models with 11-inch rotors will also fit).

Interesting to see how much mixing and matching GM used to do..

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 pm

No problem. You should be able to locate one pretty easily. You might also try car-parts.com and do a quick search. Might find one local to you or most places ship. Good luck.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 am

I've got an extra pair in good condition that I removed from a 76 Laguna. They are heavy so I'm sure shipping will be quite a bit. I'd take $75 for the pair plus whatever the shipping would be. If you just need one I could do $40. Let me know if you're interested.
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:15 am

g3chevy - PM sent

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Wait...before you do this...B body spindles work and they'll give you 12' brakes...

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Not 12' brakes...that's some superpower...12" brakes...and I have a set of course...

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:13 pm

If you go to this website http://www.car-part.com/ and follow the promps and make sure you have selected Colorado, there are a few that I think might be close to you Bill. I entered 73 Camaro into the car field.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 am

Thanks guys, I may have found a local set..

Would be curious about that B body spindle swap, is literally just the case of bolting in the spindle with no other mods (other than the rotors)?

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Here's some pics of the spindles I have. One of them has some marks on it but the surface is smooth and the rotors spin freely.

g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Hey, can you measure from the center of the back of the spindle to where the tie rod connects? I forgot to measure mine before I got rid of them.

Some people claim there would be bump steer using B body spindles, but I have yet to find evidence of it. The Trans Am guys don't have a problem, haven't heard any problems on the 73-77 A body side. The 68-72's and G bodies have bump steer problems...with a different suspension, not the same as ours...

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top