G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spindle options?

+6
brownbomber77
FumiyoG3
wbaker01
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
fasrnur
Joe73
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Spindle options? - Page 2 Empty Re: Spindle options?

Post by builtnotbought Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 am

McCauley5983 wrote:The spindle without the valley is a lighter spindle it's a newer casting
Yes I know this, thank you
The question was about reducing or saving strength on the previous level of newer casting.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Got some interesting info about rearends from Brian at Moser.

"My measurements are from housing end to housing end not wheel to wheel. The Laguna rear end or the 73-77 A-Body has a housing end to housing end width of 55 7/8” this changes based off what housing ends are being used but the stock housing ends would have a housing end to housing end dimension on 55 7/8” the Impala or caprice rears 91-96 had a narrow version and wide version the narrow version from housing end to housing end is 56” and the wide version from housing end to housing end is 57 ¼” both wide and narrow rear ends came with both brake setups drum or disc so it wouldn’t matter drum or disc but rather if you have the wide rear or the narrow rear. the axle lengths stock for these two applications would not match one another. Also the rear ends are not interchangeable meaning you cannot take a Laguna rear end and put it under the Impala or vice versa."

It's a little hard for me to understand foreign without commas and dots but I read this:

Measurments from housing end to housing end (aka from back plate to back plate) are
73-77 A-body - 55 7/8" on all a-bodies and uses Moser 30 5/16" (# A102812) axles
91-96 Caprice/94-96 Impala - 56" on narrow rearend and uses Moser 30 3/8" (# A103005) axles
91-96 Caprice/94-96 Impala - 57 1/4" on wider rearend and uses Moser 30 15/16" (# A103001) axles

Found this today (I guess it's a full rearend width):

"Chevy
91-92 sedan
1566mm - narrow (all)

93-96 sedan
1566mm - narrow (9C1 - disc & drum & some other drum applications)
1598mm - wide (Impala SS - disc & B4U - drum)

Buick 91-96 & Fleetwood 93-96 sedans
1566mm - narrow (all)
NOTE: Fleetwood housing is unique to the application - 4-channel ABS provisions

91-96 wagon, all
1642.5mm

All 93-96 7.625" (ring gear) housings are 1598mm wide (Chevy sedan only)

Sedan housings, in both widths, have the same lower control arm bracket location/spread distance, and will fit any other sedan frame. Wagons have a wider spread distance (approx. 2") between lower control arm brackets on housing, and corresponding wider frame lower control arm mounts."

Last edited by builtnotbought on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 pm

builtnotbought wrote:Got some interesting info about rearends from Brian at Moser.

"My measurements are from housing end to housing end not wheel to wheel. The Laguna rear end or the 73-77 A-Body has a housing end to housing end width of 55 7/8” this changes based off what housing ends are being used but the stock housing ends would have a housing end to housing end dimension on 55 7/8” the Impala or caprice rears 91-96 had a narrow version and wide version the narrow version from housing end to housing end is 56” and the wide version from housing end to housing end is 57 ¼” both wide and narrow rear ends came with both brake setups drum or disc so it wouldn’t matter drum or disc but rather if you have the wide rear or the narrow rear. the axle lengths stock for these two applications would not match one another. Also the rear ends are not interchangeable meaning you cannot take a Laguna rear end and put it under the Impala or vice versa."

It's a little hard for me to understand foreign without commas and dots but I read this:

Measurments from housing end to housing end (aka from back plate to back plate) are
73-77 A-body - 55 7/8" on all a-bodies and uses Moser 30 5/16" (# A102812) axles
91-96 Caprice/94-96 Impala - 56" on narrow rearend and uses Moser 30 3/8" (# A103005) axles
91-96 Caprice/94-96 Impala - 57 1/4" on wider rearend and uses Moser 30 15/16" (# A103001) axles

This is interesting, but people swap the newer rear ends into the older A-body cars all the time. The mounting points are the same, even if the housings are not. If you are running a rim/tire combo that is at the edge of fitting or not fitting, the backspacing of the rim needs to be exact and adjusted according to the particular rear end dimensions. Most people won't notice this minor discrepancy with average size wheels and tires.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 am

If the wheels are not at the edge of fitting that means that you didn't reached perfection in your wheel/tire combo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yes I know it doesn't matter with average wheels, but when measuring 11J rim with full width of 12" there is very little space to play.
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2