G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factory fuel lines

3 posters

Go down

Factory fuel lines Empty Factory fuel lines

Post by Bruisr Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:26 am

Im currently upgrading to an electric fuel pump. Naturally I want to add some ptfe steel braided hose. My question is:  is the factory lines stainless steel or mild steel?  I cant decide to completely replace all the fuel lines, or use the factory line with steel braid at the tank end and the engine end. The existing line is 3/8 and is plenty big to fuel the bbc.   Looking to buy a 37° flaring tool for the an fittings. Summit has 2 different kinds depending on the material of the existing line.  I also have a 15 gallon fuel cell, should i use it instead of the factory tank?    I found a company on the web called. "An fittings Direct",  check out their prices.  Way cheaper than anything Ive seen.  PTFE stainless steel braided hose for 3.49 a foot!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Factory fuel lines Empty Re: Factory fuel lines

Post by Joe73 Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 am

Factory lines are mild steel. Stainless would be aftermarket. If yours are not rusted I see no reason to change them out. 3/8" is 3/8". And your factory fuel tank would also be fine. Why mess with a cell. I have 'sump' welded to the bottom of my tank but havent used the fittings. I'm still using the sender up top.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by BBMALIBU Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:30 pm

I have done the PTFE dance.....don't buy cheap....they may leak.  

I ended up going with Aeroquip.

Use at least one straight end on a section of line.  

This is the type of fitting you will need (steel, not aluminum).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm1104/overview/

I originally tried Fragola aluminum.....they leaked at the swivel point, not where the line and fitting meet.
Manufacturer defect on several fittings.
BBMALIBU
BBMALIBU
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:08 pm

After some thinking and analyzing, switching to a cell would be alot of work for no benefits. My tank is in good condition, and the sender works great. Will the electric pump provide enough suction to pull fuel from the top of the tank thru the factory sender?
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down