G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

front sway bar

3 posters

Go down

front sway bar Empty front sway bar

Post by pila Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:31 am

I'm looking to replace the stock sway bar on my "75 Elco.  The stock bar is the 7/8" diameter bar.  I'm wondering how big I should go for a new bar. I'm looking at the 1 1/8",  and the 1 1/4" sizes.

Also, does a bigger bar affect the ride ?  The Elco has some wallow in turns with the stock bar.

I see some up to 1 5/16", which I don't think I need, and maybe the 1 1/8" may be big enough ..???

I already have poly end links on the stock bar..

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

front sway bar Empty Re: front sway bar

Post by Bruisr Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 am

I installed a sway bar from a 78 trans am, which fit perfectly. I believe its 1 1/4". It really tightened things up. To say it feels like a slot car, I have said, but I know I'm stretching it a little bit. I feel you will be really happy with it. It made such an improvement in the turning department, I went and installed wider front tires, because I was afraid the skinny front runner tires were maxed out handling wise. I have taken the Elco to a completely different direction. It now sits 3" lower and has wider tires on the front. You wont be disappointed. 1 1/4" bar was free for me, but I don't think you will feel the difference between that or the 1 1/8". You should definitely do it!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks Bruisr ! I'll go with the 1 1/4 bar. My Elco is a bit heavier in front, with the Caddy engine, so the bigger bar should help !

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Yep, they're all over eBay, or The Parts Place sells them new, zinc coated for like $120 shipped or something. Check eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-77-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-442-Front-Sway-Bar-1-1-4-Gold-Cadmium-/271469484966?fits=Year%3A1977%7CModel%3ACutlass&hash=item3f34d79ba6:g:mbcAAOSwzJ5XUb6-&vxp=mtr

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down