G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clutch adjustment help

4 posters

Go down

Clutch adjustment help  Empty Clutch adjustment help

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:42 pm

The four speed swap is done be it's really fun to drive but the engagement from the pedal seems to be way to high in the pedal travel. Is there any way to adjust this for it to engage sooner in the pedal travel? Thanks guys-Justin
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Clutch adjustment help  Empty Re: Clutch adjustment help

Post by Joe73 Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:21 pm

As long as you have the required "free play" at the pedal, thats the best you will do. If I remember correctly free play should be around 1 1/4". Free play is REAL important. If you dont have enough, the throwout bearing with be touching the plate fingers and wearing itself out quickly.

Diaphragm clutches grab up high. Three fingers grab closer to the floor. Diaphragm is the way to go with easy pedal pressure.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Like Joe said free play is most important.  I would only modify the free play if you couldn't get enough travel for disengagement at the bottom. You only really want to have to push the pedal enough to shift it. Any excess travel just flexes the fingers more than needed.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:45 pm

On mine I have two holes on the z bar and depending g on which one you use it will change the geometry to move the pedal feel. Really just a matter of playing with it
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:47 pm

The 2 holes on the z bar are used for the adjustment. You put the rod in one hole, tighten the adjustment so there is no slack, then put the rod in the other hole. That will give you the proper free play according to the gm manual. Although I'm not a fan of doing it that way.

Thats the reason for the 2 holes.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down