G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quadrajet

4 posters

Go down

Quadrajet Empty Quadrajet

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Laguna has a Quadrajet (600) on it that is SHOT-buying the GMP 350 crate long block soon. Have two Eddy intakes to choose from and will use one of those, my question is: what is a reasonable price to rebuild the QJ? a new carb comparable to this one is 300-350 bucks- You guys know I've been a mustang guy for a few years and haven't a clue what a rebuild should cost nowadays. When I was a kid (LLLOOOOOONNNGGG time ago) the carb was $150 and a rebuild was reasonable at $75- But then again, the Grand National was the baddest new car around, taking on the Monte SS,Mustang GT, and the IROC Z-28, all pushing a whopping 175 horsepower. God, 80's cars were wimpy from the factory.
What about the QJ fellas?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Quadrajet Empty Re: Quadrajet

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Rebuild kits for the Q-jet are not that bad if you want to rebuild it yourself.
The q-jet is finicky about float level and secondary spring adjustment on the air valve butterflies. This spring adjustment is where most of the bog problems come from.

Then make sure you epoxy over the plugs on the bottom of the main body or else the carb will drain out in less than 48 hrs.

It is a great carb for the street. It is just more time consuming to custom tune to a specific engine
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:30 am

bigredlaguna wrote:Rebuild kits for the Q-jet are not that bad if you want to rebuild it yourself.
The q-jet is finicky about float level and secondary spring adjustment on the air valve butterflies. This spring adjustment is where most of the bog problems come from.

Then make sure you epoxy over the plugs on the bottom of the main body or else the carb will drain out in less than 48 hrs.

It is a great carb for the street. It is just more time consuming to custom tune to a specific engine

YES Epoxy the main plugs. We have a 72 chevy at the shop thats all original with a Q-jet. The plugs leak and empty the bowl and its a PITA to start after about 3 days. (granted it only gets started once in 3 weeks)
Oh and I hate Q-jets they are a PITA to fix and diagnose, but they do run good. I recommend a holley....

Quadrajet SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:48 am

Get the book by Doug Roe ,Rochchester Quadrajets (Ebay) and do it your self.
The Grand National is still one of the baddest cars in the land Very Happy .
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:02 pm

ant7377 wrote:Get the book by Doug Roe ,Rochchester Quadrajets (Ebay) and do it your self.
The Grand National is still one of the baddest cars in the land Very Happy .

Thanks
The grand national has held up well over time, and obviously outlasted many of it's peers.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down