1977 El Camino - Parting Out

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1977 El Camino - Parting Out

Post by g3chevy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:40 pm

The dash is junk as most of them are. You're best bet is to get a hard plastic dash cap which is a good option to stay within a reasonable budget. You can get them on Ebay for about $120. But if you have deep pockets you can get your dash professionally restored through a company called Just Dashes. They are proud of their work so they'll usually charge about $800-$900 for these types of dashes. Below is a link to one of the dashes they did that fit our vehicles. The tailgate emblem has already been sold. Thanks for asking.

http://www.justdashes.com/2013/07/1976-chevy-el-camino-dash-pad-and-door-panel-restoration/
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by braunicus on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 am

Do you still have the sail panel and windshield trim pieces? Shipping would be to 34668

braunicus
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:18 am

Yes, I have those trim parts but some are black, tan, and maroon. The panels behind the door windows are fair at best. They have small cracks and chalking. Here's a pic for reference. Also, if you're interested, I'll be in Lakeland near the end of the month if you want to save on shipping.

g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by braunicus on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:50 am

Excellent. The color doesn't matter much to me since I'm not sure what color she's getting rebuilt with yet. She's missing all of the interior trim. How much am I looking at for those pieces? I'm going to try my hand at reproducing them with a 3d printer so they're available again

braunicus
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Let me gather up all the trim pieces and take better pictures to send you. I've often thought of reproducing these on a 3D printer would be a great solution. But a friend of mine that has first hand experience with these units says you would need a sizable printer to reproduce some of these pieces which could get very expensive. Let me know what you find out on all this.
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 pm

I have thought about this too, but the larger ones like the one pictured would need about the largest size of 3-d printer used, so the issue would be finding one to use for the project. I've been looking specifically at the small trim piece that sits at the bottom of the B-pillar upper trim on the 73-75's (not used on the 76-77's). It covers the spot where the rear shelf hits the B-pillar, and I've never seen one that isn't damaged. It's constantly buffeted by wind if the window is open, which is all the time for me, and it is the first piece of trim to get knocked when you put something behind the seats. It's also conjoined the the upper trim by staples, making it additionally difficult to change out. The piece is only about 6-8 inches so would be more doable on a printer.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by braunicus on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Part of reproducing them would be redesigning them to be a multipart print. I'm not too worried how it looks on my car since most of my stuff is missing. Either way I am interested in buying them

braunicus
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Hey Crice63! I'm parting out two 74 El Camino's at the moment. I'll see if I have any of those pieces that are usable. If I do, I'll send you some pics and see what you think.
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:59 pm

That would be great. Both of mine are just flapping noise makers at this point. I suppose a car that had working AC and was driven with the windows up all the time might have a good piece there.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdman77 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Do you by any chance have the RH rear wheel opening molding? I see in the pictures looks like you have the left side, but I don't see a picture showing the right side. Thx!
Birdman77
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Crice63, just took some pics of the pieces you were asking about. Unfortunately they are not in much better shape than the ones you have with the exception of a passenger side one that is tan. But it looks to be very brittle. Here are the pics.

g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Birdman77, I do have a wheel well molding but its pretty rough. Lots of dents and scratches.
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:42 pm

I wouldn't mind getting that passenger one from you. It looks better than mine and it might be reproducible. I haven't taken my pillar trim off to see exactly how difficult it might be to unstaple that part from the main, but if you are willing to do it I would buy it.

I'm trying to think of anything else I might need. Do you happen to have a "classic" fender badge? I have "class" but the "ic" has broken off.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top