G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

side window retainer clip thing?

2 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

side window retainer clip thing? Empty side window retainer clip thing?

Post by crice63 Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Somewhere between Houston and Lafayette I lost the plastic clip that seems to hold the window in place. I thought the window was adjusted ok, then noticed during the trip at high speeds that the wind noise was pretty loud. It seems like a piece that can't be done without. Does anyone make new ones or do I grab the one from the 1973 parts car? If it requires replacing the whole trim piece I guess that's OK because I have a leak there anyway.

I don't really understand how that piece works anyway. The window surely hits it every time the door opens or closes (with the window up). It's just bound to break off, isn't it?

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

side window retainer clip thing? Empty Re: side window retainer clip thing?

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Sounds like you lost your blow out clip. Here's a pic for reference. Also below is a link to similar clips on Ebay. These are riveted to the inner weatherstrip channel that mounts on top of the drip rail molding.
side window retainer clip thing? 20170416

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1981-TRANS-AM-CAMARO-ROOF-RAIL-WEATHERSTRIP-WINDOW-BLOWOUT-CLIP-SET-/181969730543?hash=item2a5e3dbbef:g:G34AAOSw241YVIM-&vxp=mtr
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 pm

One rivet on my spare piece is already rusted. So I guess the way to do this is get new clips, remove molding and rubber seal, remove whatever that inner trim piece is called, rivet the new clip to it, replace. Seems like a major hassle. And if any of the seal is glued in, I will need new seals.

I need a beer just contemplating this.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down