Bumper shipping help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bumper shipping help

Post by JF74chevelle on Wed May 10, 2017 9:54 am

I have to ship my old 74' bumper to Michigan, I'm in California. What would be the easiest and cheapest way to do so?
avatar
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by McCauley5983 on Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 am

From where to where. truck frieght usually ends up being around 200 if the receiving end has a dock otherwise a lot if people have used Greyhound
avatar
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 13

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by JF74chevelle on Wed May 10, 2017 10:38 am

McCauley5983 wrote:From where to where. truck frieght usually ends up being around 200 if the receiving end has a dock otherwise a lot if people have used Greyhound
California (Huntington Beach) to Michigan, not sure exactly where yet he hasn't sent me the address
avatar
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by Mcarlo77 on Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 pm

I've shipped a couple of rear bumpers and found FedEx Ground to be the best deal. I've also tried Greyhound for a couple of large sheet metal pieces and was not impressed with their prices, time frame to deliver or their weak tracking capability. In a nutshell, Greyhound isn't in the business of shipping packages. Your item is always secondary to passengers' luggage. If there's no room for it between stops (and, there will be plenty of stops between CA and MI), your item can and will be removed and set aside until the next bus comes along that does have room.

Of course, no matter who you choose, you'll need to construct a suitable box to ship it in (I use 18x18x24 boxes from Walmart). All in with shipping supplies included, I seem to remember it costing around $90 via FedEx Ground. I also seem to remember Greyhound was $15-$20 higher...and, as I said, a bigger p.i.t.a. than FedEx.
avatar
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by Damon23 on Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I've shipped a couple of rear bumpers and found FedEx Ground to be the best deal.  I've also tried Greyhound for a couple of large sheet metal pieces and was not impressed with their prices, time frame to deliver or their weak tracking capability.  In a nutshell, Greyhound isn't in the business of shipping packages.  Your item is always secondary to passengers' luggage.  If there's no room for it between stops (and, there will be plenty of stops between CA and MI), your item can and will be removed and set aside until the next bus comes along that does have room.  

Of course, no matter who you choose, you'll need to construct a suitable box to ship it in (I use 18x18x24 boxes from Walmart).  All in with shipping supplies included, I seem to remember it costing around $90 via FedEx Ground.  I also seem to remember Greyhound was $15-$20 higher...and, as I said, a bigger p.i.t.a. than FedEx.

I can't second this advice enough. The hassle of trying to cheap out on shipping will only come back to bite you in the butt in the end. Now the real shipping companies can screw up, believe me but at least they are in the business of shipping packages. And their are some shipping places that will package it and ship it for you. I have a guy that does a excellent job. I pay a little more than doing it myself and taking it to the post office but I know it is done right.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by 1975 S3 on Tue May 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Anyone know how much a rear bumper weighs? I have to arrange some shipping also
avatar
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by JF74chevelle on Tue May 16, 2017 7:51 pm

No but I know the front weighs 92lbs, maybe similar in size
avatar
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by Mcarlo77 on Tue May 16, 2017 9:13 pm

'74/'75 Rear bumper weighs 32 lbs by itself...not including the bumper support. You're going to need a box about 75"x10"x8". I'd add 3-4 lbs for the box when getting estimates online for shipping costs; although you'll probably be charged based on dimensional weight rather than actual weight.
avatar
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by 1975 S3 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:'74/'75 Rear bumper weighs 32 lbs by itself...not including the bumper support.  You're going to need a box about 75"x10"x8".  I'd add 3-4 lbs for the box when getting estimates online for shipping costs; although you'll probably be charged based on dimensional weight rather than actual weight.    

Thank you that really helps, just grabbed that one at Century, they pack it up I arrange the shipping for it. Small stuff they ship USPS.
Dave
avatar
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Bumper shipping help

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum