G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irritated with eBay sellers

+4
dynchel
clanceman427
Joe73
77camino
8 posters

Go down

Irritated with eBay sellers Empty Irritated with eBay sellers

Post by 77camino Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 pm

It is so irritating when you find something on eBay and you contact the seller only to get lied to. I asked for more pictures and was told he didn't have anymore than what was in his ad. I was told that it was nos and had no flaws. Maybe I should have stopped there but I didn't. I bid on it and won. Today it arrived. I would agree that it is nos and the marks are from shelf life, but I was expecting flawless. I wish people would just say that it has some small flaws. Has anyone had any luck in polishing scratches out of aluminum trim. Btw, it's the trim around the grille on a 76/77.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Irritated with eBay sellers Empty Re: Irritated with eBay sellers

Post by Joe73 Fri May 26, 2017 6:18 am

0000 steel wool and then some mother's aluminum polish. Great results.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri May 26, 2017 7:20 am

I actually got a used shell from a member here. It was typical of being 35+ years old condition wise. I stripped off the anodizing and polished the aluminum (mothers mag polish) to look like chrome. It has held up very well.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 am

Did you do that by hand or with a polishing wheel/motorized grinder?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am

All by hand. It polished up very easily, removing the anodizing was the hard part.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 26, 2017 9:31 am

I regularly use OOOO steel wool for polishing stainless...but, it has little to no effect on removing scratches/cloudiness on anodized trim. The anodized coating must be removed...and, that's a hard surface treatment that's very time consuming to remove by hand. I've resorted to fine sandpaper with progressively finer grits to get a polished surface on it. They say, however, that with the anodizing removed, periodic polishing will be needed to retain the shine.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri May 26, 2017 10:11 am

I sand aluminium trim with my DA Sander with 400grit which removed any anodising with ease. Then i use 600 and after that i go to wetsanding with 1200 and last 2000. I polish the trim with polish was and a buffing wheel. It looks like mirror finish crome after. Then keep the shine with wax. Same procedure with stainless, only it takes longer and uses more sandpaper. If i use machines to sand i take care the item dosent get hot, if it does it has a tendens to change shape. Or get waves in it. Patience is the key word
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri May 26, 2017 11:22 am

Easy off oven cleaner takes off the anodizing. Spray it on let it sit a little then use fine steel wool. Use rubber gloves though.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri May 26, 2017 12:34 pm

I haven't tried it yet, but thought about having some trim pieces chrome plated.
My '77 type trim around the grille needs to be replaced, (dents etc) but haven't looked very hard to find a better one, that can be stripped, & polished or plated...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down