G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New radiator with new engine.

4 posters

Go down

New radiator with new engine.  Empty New radiator with new engine.

Post by JF74chevelle Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Since I'm building a new motor. 357 9.5:1 compression Brodix heads nothing crazy. Do you guys think I'll need a new radiator with the new motor? And if so what radiator are you guys running.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

New radiator with new engine.  Empty Re: New radiator with new engine.

Post by Joe73 Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Something with 2 one tubes, stock shroud, stock 7 blade can with Hayden 2747 clutch will do a big block with 700 up in the summer with AC on. And 70/30 mix of coolant. Distilled water, nothing from the hose.
If you have a 2 core in it now, I'd have it boiled out and use a 7 blade can with the clutch listed above.
The option I'll be going with will be a Northern rad 205055, with 7 blade and that Hayden clutch. Stock shroud.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Joe73 wrote:Something with 2 one tubes, stock shroud, stock 7 blade can with Hayden 2747 clutch will do a big block with 700 up in the summer with AC on.   And 70/30 mix of coolant.  Distilled water, nothing from the hose.
If you have a 2 core in it now, I'd have it boiled out and use a 7 blade can with the clutch listed above.  
The option I'll be going with will be a Northern rad 205055, with 7 blade and that Hayden clutch.  Stock shroud.  

I just have whatever came stock, not sure if it's a two core.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Pop the cap and take a look.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:59 pm

It's probably worth getting a new one. Preferably without a trans cooler in it to add water volume.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:55 pm

I'm with Ray.  Preferably no trans cooler for a manual car.  The northern part number I listed is for a manual car.   Runs about 250 shipped. Made in USA with stamped tanks instead of welded tanks.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Looks like I'll be going with that one then. The northern will fit in our rad support?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:59 pm

From all the research and contact with Northern, yes. I havent personally tried it. I like that its for a manual trans (they have an auto model as well), has stamped tanks which means less welds to fail.
One thing to consider is your rubber cushions that support the rad. I'm 99% sure you need the "big block" cushions which are for a 4 core rad. Small blocks and 6 cyl. cars use the smaller cushions. Comes down to the thickness of the end tank.

Just FYI, another option I was considering was the Murray 433322 from O'Reilly auto parts. It has a trans cooler but you just wouldnt use it and it comes in at around $100. Most auto parts places have them. Just check to make sure that it comes with (2) 1" tubes for the core, which it should. Its a plastic tank rad with aluminum core just like new cars. Very good replacement option for all year "A" bodies according to other forums.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:46 pm

X2 on the 7-blade fan & clutch..... Smile

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down