G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where is the build sheet hiding?

+10
clanceman427
Mcarlo77
Roadcaptain S3
Hawk03
SSTOOLMAN
1973 454 MONTE
1973montec
pila
jrj430
77camino
14 posters

Go down

where is the build sheet hiding? Empty where is the build sheet hiding?

Post by jrj430 Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm

1975 Laguna...Its an Arlington Texas manufactured car... back seat Nothing

any idea's?

Behind the back seat I found piece of paper...hand written with my 1ae3 an7

jeff
jrj430
jrj430
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

where is the build sheet hiding? Empty Re: where is the build sheet hiding?

Post by 77camino Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 pm

77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by jrj430 Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:06 pm

thanks
jrj430
jrj430
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 am

They were supposed to be thrown away at the end of the line, while cleaning out other papers, coffee cups, extra screws, repair tickets, etc. Often is was easier to just leave them in place and build the car up around them which is why they often have sealer or undercoating on them or have a screw shot through the middle.

Each remote area had it's own build sheet so that sub assemblies could be built up and conveyed to the main line in sequence: axle line, motor line, cab shop, tire bay, seat cushion room. That's why those areas are fair game for finding a build sheet (in the seat, behind the door trim panels or under the carpet).

I have completely disassembled my Chevelle ('74 model year, Oshawa build) and never found a build sheet. I did find one on top of the fuel tank of my Pontiac built '65 GTO but it is the only one I have ever found in any of my collector vehicles.

K

where is the build sheet hiding? GTOBuildsheet2
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:59 pm

My 77 was a Doraville car and it was under the front bench between the foam and the springs.

Post it here if you find it!!

https://www.g3gm.com/t9232-1977-orig-documents-and-build-sheet-pics?highlight=documents
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 pm

In my '74 Malibu, I found one behind the trim panel in each door, and another stuck in the front seat springs. Just never know where or if, you will find them...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:13 pm

on top of gas tank maybe
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am

I followed several of my vehicles down the line as they were being built and never thought to keep any of the paperwork, and never found a build sheet in them later.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:13 pm

It's funny. I remember people always keeping the window sticker.
I don't recall ever even hearing the term "build sheet" 'til 10-15 years ago.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:23 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:It's funny. I remember people always keeping the window sticker.
I don't recall ever even hearing the term "build sheet" 'til 10-15 years ago.

where is the build sheet hiding? Img_3310

way different than window sticker... this is for my 73 monte. found on top of gas tank
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Yeah. But people always kept the window sticker back in the day.
Used to be that the window sticker was the BIG proof for collector types.
At least that's the way it was around here.
Now the build sheet has kinda taken over that position. I guess because of all the fake window stickers that started popping up in the 90s.

It's just funny to me. I think it's cool, but interesting how time changes things.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 am

I've heard it said that this Build Sheet infatuation started with the Corvette crowd in their quest to inflate their supposed values...along with their fervor for numbers matching everything.  It was quickly embraced by the Mopar crowd who were also convinced their cars would be worth mega dollars if they could prove originality.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:28 am

yes its cool to a point. Its fun to know what you got but it has gotten crazy.
I talked to a guy at a show with a  70, 71 , 72 (I dont remember the year) chevelle SS big block 4 sp car. He said he had it recently insured for 2.2 million because on the build sheet it had no spare tire on it, meaning this car was sold only for use on the track... Or else it would have had a spare tire callout on it.
I don't know if that's a valid statement but he said its worth it. His dad who owned it was there, the poor guy  could only get around with help. He fell out of his lawn chair when we were talking and need help to get up. He was really enjoying listening to his son telling the build sheet story though.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:45 am

Sheesh...the guy's probably secretly hoping someone will steal it so he can retire comfortably. Can't believe anyone other than the insurance company would pay anywhere near that.

Reminds me of a guy here locally who owns an original condition, lower mileage '69 GTX. Apparently it's a one of one because it's factory green with a PAINTED black top rather than a vinyl one. Says it's worth over a million dollars. Not to me.......
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Sheesh...the guy's probably secretly hoping someone will steal it so he can retire comfortably.  Can't believe anyone other than the insurance company would pay anywhere near that.

Reminds me of a guy here locally who owns an original condition, lower mileage '69 GTX.  Apparently it's a one of one because it's factory green with a PAINTED black top rather than a vinyl one.  Says it's worth over a million dollars.  Not to me.......

The Marti report goes crazy with that kind of thing. Every report breaks each car down to one of one: like the certain year Mustang that was the only blue one with the factory block heater...

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 am

The build sheet and any other documentations for a car is cool. Its more about having something else from the factory to see and tell a story as well as the nostalgia of it all. It does nothing to increase the value of most cars. It might increase the value of a low mileage original low production vehicle but those cars are for guys at Barrett-Jackson and Mecum so they can tell their friends how much month they spent on a car restored to the build sheet specs.

I purchased a Marti report and a reproduced dealer invoice for my dad's 1979 Thunderbird from Kevin Marti. Since my dad purchased the car new it was fun to see the story of it and different stats of vehicles produced that year. Its only 1 of 3k that was ordered with his color and trim package so the value of his car just jumped 20k (sarcasm) with that report.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 pm

I bought a 67/68 Mustang several years ago.
It really was a 67/68 because at some point somebody had clearly taken what was left of two POS Mustang coupes and combined the useful stuff to make one car.
I picked it up for cheap from a woman who had paid 12k for it a few years earlier.

For giggles, I got a Marti report for it and it came back as a 1 of 450-something car based on the VIN.

In other words, build sheets, window stickers and Marti reports don't amount to a hill of beans if the car is a POS.

I often think that those sort of documents only contribute to the serial over-pricing that you see all the time.

That being said, I really love that I found my build sheet.
Now my car is worth 8 million dollars. Smile

Seriously though, I really do think the those docs do increase the value on some of the specialty cars (Laguna, SS,442 etc) , even more so in the future.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:14 am

Just wanted to share that I recently spoke to a gentleman in AL who has a '76 Monte built in Doraville. He found his Build Sheet under the upholstery between the foam and metal seat back in one of his swivel bucket seats...which is kind of weird as I would have thought the seats would have been upholstered at a prior time and placed in inventory to be used when needed.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Just wanted to share that I recently spoke to a gentleman in AL who has a '76 Monte built in Doraville.  He found his Build Sheet under the upholstery between the foam and metal seat back in one of his swivel bucket seats...which is kind of weird as I would have thought the seats would have been upholstered at a prior time and placed in inventory to be used when needed.

Negative - seats are built up in a remote area of the plant (due to fire concerns) and conveyed to the trim line in build order sequence. Same with engine/trans (accessory drive installed, carbs installed), front suspension and rear axle trim (brake lines installed, shocks installed and drive shaft selected), front end sheetmetal (wheelhouse installed, trim added), etc.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 am

Keith Seymore wrote:
Mcarlo77 wrote:Just wanted to share that I recently spoke to a gentleman in AL who has a '76 Monte built in Doraville.  He found his Build Sheet under the upholstery between the foam and metal seat back in one of his swivel bucket seats...which is kind of weird as I would have thought the seats would have been upholstered at a prior time and placed in inventory to be used when needed.

Negative - seats are built up in a remote area of the plant (due to fire concerns) and conveyed to the trim line in build order sequence.  Same with engine/trans (accessory drive installed, carbs installed), front suspension and rear axle trim (brake lines installed, shocks installed and drive shaft selected), front end sheetmetal (wheelhouse installed, trim added), etc.

K

I stand corrected. I sit next to the guy that designed the swivel buckets (he is retiring in a few days). He said they did come in mostly assembled; the seat backs came in from Inland/Fisher Guide and were added to the bases at the final assembly location. The complete seat would then be sequenced in to the conveyor along with the rest of the bench seats that were built up in the cushion room.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am

I am wondering how Inland/Fisher Guide mass produced those seat backs. man it was so hard to recover mine doing the hog rings.

Proper seat base finish on all the metallic parts, including levers, is un-painted, natural, correct? just hoping to glean some info from the original designer before he retires Smile
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:15 pm

All swivel seat bases I've ever had and still have are all natural steel and unfinished.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 pm

clanceman427 wrote:I am wondering how Inland/Fisher Guide mass produced those seat backs.  man it was so hard to recover mine doing the hog rings.  

Proper seat base finish on all the metallic parts, including levers, is un-painted, natural, correct?  just hoping to glean some info from the original designer before he retires Smile

Correct. Mine were natural/unfinished as well.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 pm

I found mine a couple weeks ago. It is a Fremont, CA car and the build sheet is behind the passenger door upper door panel. I took good photos as I didn't want to tear it then put the panel back on. Mine is a 75.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 am

I found mine under the front seat on my 77 . Sold new 20 miles from here. 73 I never found. Canadian built cars you can get all documents on them from GM Canada.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down