G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine block paint stripper?

+4
Circuit Rider
BlackChevelleSS
pila
bigredlaguna
8 posters

Go down

Engine block paint stripper? Empty Engine block paint stripper?

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:23 pm

When I bought my 350 block it was already painted the really nice heat Chevy orange paint but I don't want that color and I don't want the paint in the lifter valley. Does anyone know a good paint stripper to clean out the lifter valley and the outside block?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Engine block paint stripper? Empty Re: Engine block paint stripper?

Post by pila Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 am

Just stripper that's available at auto parts stores will work OK. Some have what's called "aircraft paint stripper" which is OK I haven't ever used it on my airplanes, so it's just BS for a selling point.

So, what kind of paint was used in the lifter valley ?? Some industrial engines used red-lead paint on the internal engine surfaces, but not many people use it on auto engines.
Stripping paint in the lifter valley may not be a good idea, with the chance of getting the stuff down into the engine etc.
If the paint is not coming off in there, it may be better to leave it...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:42 am

Save yourself the trouble. Leave the paint alone if it is not flaking in the lifter valley. As far as the outside, wipe it down with lacquer thinner, fan it with gray engine primer and paint it.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 am

If your bringing the block to be hot tanked, most of the exterior paint should come off. As for the lifter valley, I've seen quite a few valleys painted with I think Glyptol? Some sort of stuff used in electric motors that real hard when dry. Supposed to make your oil return faster to the pan.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:48 pm

The block has already been machined and painted, the guy I bought it from was building it then get a deal on an LS so he sold it to me ready to go
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I got mine back from hot tanking and then I taped it off and sandblasted it.  Then high temp chevy orange red.  

Engine block paint stripper? Engine10
Engine block paint stripper? Engine11
Engine block paint stripper? Engine12

Last edited by Joe73 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 pm

I'm going to paint mine gold, I have edelbrock racing series valve covers and a black air filter with black pan and timing chain cover that'll all have a theme
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:01 am

All you need to do then is tape it off like Joe73's pics, then scuff the shiny off the current paint (don't need to go to bare metal, just make the paint on it look flat) with a wire brush or sandpaper as completely as you can. Then blow off the dust and prep the surface with thinner or something else that removes residual oil, wax, and grease. Then prime and paint.

Sounds like a nice color scheme, good luck.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:04 pm

[quote="Joe73"]I got mine back from hot tanking and then I taped it off and sandblasted it.  Then high temp chevy red orange.  

Joe, looks great. did you prime it with epoxy primer out of a gun, and then the chevy orange out of a gun too? where do you get the paint, and do you reduce it with something before shooting? just taking notes as this winter I want to do the same for the whole engine after rebuilding (block, pan, heads, intake, timing cover, etc. whatever gets chevy orange)
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:All you need to do then is tape it off like Joe73's pics, then scuff the shiny off the current paint (don't need to go to bare metal, just make the paint on it look flat) with a wire brush or sandpaper as completely as you can. Then blow off the dust and prep the surface with thinner or something else that removes residual oil, wax, and grease. Then prime and paint.

Sounds like a nice color scheme, good luck.

Thank you, I wanted to make it a random color sinse the hole car is dark grey and black a nice bright color in the engine bay would be cool!!
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Kevin. I first scrub the block down with lacquer thinner and wire brushes. Then I like to soak the block and lightly scrub with wax and grease remover. Install the freeze out plugs with some Indian Head (old school) sealant.
Then I used spray cans taking my time to put it on a little wet. I didnt want any dry spray. I used Dupli-color 1612 high temp primer just to cover, not heavy. Then I used Dupli-color 1607 Chevy Orange-Red. From the research I've done, that is the correct color for a small block in our years and prior. The big blocks had a slightly different color and I believe it was a Red-orange but I'm not sure about that.
Lots of people have great results shooting regular basecoat on their engines. Guys say it holds up great. I thought of shooting epoxy primer because I use it on everything. But I've always had good results with Dupli-color high temp paint so I decided to stick with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 pm

I painted my 400 years ago with U.S. Paint product called Alumigrip, marine version is called Awlgrip. It's aircraft & marine two-part poly stuff ( very expensive too !) It was some left-over paint from an airplane I painted....
When I did the first full rebuild, the machine shop did the hot-tank to it. It came out of the tank, with the paint still on it, and even glossy yet. Those guys wanted to know what that paint was !!
Anyway, it's still on there..!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:11 am

buy the aircraft paint stripper and use a power washer. Dont it hundreds of times. youll have to do it 3 or 4 times. The aerosol can is easier but the quart jug works better but a pain to brush on. read the directions. wear pants and long sleeves and for sure gloves and face protection, if it gets on you it burns alot.

Engine block paint stripper? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:00 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote:buy the aircraft paint stripper and use a power washer. Dont it hundreds of times. youll have to do it 3 or 4 times. The aerosol can is easier but the quart jug works better but a pain to brush on. read the directions. wear pants and long sleeves and for sure gloves and face protection, if it gets on you it burns alot.

I was planning to get an "aircraft" type paint stripper, good tip on the skin protection thank you
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Circuit Rider Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:04 am

JF74chevelle wrote:I'm going to paint mine gold, I have edelbrock racing series valve covers and a black air filter with black pan and timing chain cover that'll all have a theme

What kind of paint are you planning to use to paint the engine block? Assuming it must be high temp paint of some sort. Where are you getting this, because I would like to paint one of my engines to match the car. TIA
Circuit Rider
Circuit Rider
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 am

Circuit Rider wrote:
JF74chevelle wrote:I'm going to paint mine gold, I have edelbrock racing series valve covers and a black air filter with black pan and timing chain cover that'll all have a theme

What kind of paint are you planning to use to paint the engine block?  Assuming it must be high temp paint of some sort.  Where are you getting this, because I would like to paint one of my engines to match the car. TIA

Search engine painting on google. You can use your basecoat car paint on the engine without issues. Just do your normal good prep and shoot it any color you like. Dont worry about the high temp paints. Good prep and shoot it. That has been the consensus from all the reading I've done on it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 am

Joe thanks for info on the Orange. Paint. Your photo shows the block primered. What primer did you use before applying the rattle can orange?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 am

Dupli-color 1612 high temp primer. 1607 orange red. I've also just gone good prep and gone straight to 1607 on other engines. No issues with peeling or anything.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Also what do you guys think about painting the alumninum heads? What is the best way to prep and paint the aluminum?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

I wouldn't paint them. Keep the benefit of heat dissipation.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:37 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:I wouldn't paint them.  Keep the benefit of heat dissipation.

I agree !!  Even though I'd love to clear coat them.  LOL.  I powdercoated my rpm air gap.  I know it will hurt heat dissipation but I cant stand the look of a dirty aluminum manifold.  I did my scattershield as well.

Engine block paint stripper? Powder10
Engine block paint stripper? Powder11
Engine block paint stripper? Powder12
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm

I'll see how everything else comes out to see if I want to paint them.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down