76 Laguna progress

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 76 Laguna progress

Post by fasrnur on Thu May 10, 2018 11:14 pm

I thought I was in heaven when I put 2" drop springs all the way around on mine. I was told they were 2" springs, but in defense of the person that I got them from, I don't think he ever had them in his car and was told that they were only a 2" drop. It looked great when I finished, but when I took it for it's first test drive I couldn't even go over a small pebble without bottoming out. Bummer! Had to replace the rear springs so that I could drive it to work this week. Different springs to bring it up will be going in this weekend.

This is with drop springs up front and Impala SS springs in the rear. SS springs will go up front.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Fri May 11, 2018 9:18 am

I think the stance looks great, but I'm biased. Smile
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 am

I don't want to put down that low, just reduce the gap between the tire and the wheel well and perhaps bring the back up a bit. The original springs gave it a nose up look that I don't care for.

I got some springs for the front that start out at 500 lbs/inch. If I need to trim those, they will get a higher rate as a result so that should mitigate the problem of clearance a bit. I also got some rear springs that are 198 lbs/inch to try out for the back.

The fronts are moog 5534, the rear are moog 6381. The front springs are for a 1973 Buick Regal/Century with a 455 and the rear are for a similar year station wagon or sedan.
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Sun May 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Well, here is a pic of the springs I got for the front. The original ones are on the left and have had a half coil cut. The new ones on the right haven't been cut in this picture.

I have since cut one coil off the new springs and installed them. The car still leans to the passenger side. It is about a 3/4" difference with the rear jacked up under center just enough to lift the tires off the ground. With the tires on the ground, the difference is reduced by only 1/8".

The good news is that I shouldn't have to cut the springs any more. The high side is at 26 1/2". Exactly the height of the tire.

I think I am going to take the low side apart one more time and install a new isolator or a simple spacer on just that side. 1/4" should be about 1/2" at the body.
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 am

I ordered a spacer last week from Eckler's that was advertised as being a 3/8" spacer that the factory used to correct the leaning. Got it in time to see if it works this past weekend. It is designed to fit in the a-arm pocket and is a flexible plastic.

However, I am concerned about the thickness of this product. Here it is test fitted to the coil I cut off.

I didn't take any pictures of the install, but what I did was put the spring compressor bolt through the shock absorber hole in the frame, and hold it in the frame pocket while simply lowering the a-arm. No need to undo the spindle. The only problem with this approach is that when the spring clears the pocket, it straightens out and is still very close to the side of the pocket. Since I was concerned about the thickness of this piece anyway, I cut the spacer to just a half circle. I installed the half circle piece in the outboard half of the pocket.

This is the left over piece.

I got lucky with that move because the ride height is perfectly even from side to side. Here are some before/after pics of the right side.

Some before/after of the left side.

bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:14 am

Before I get some profile pics, I have to fix the crank pulley. The car slipped off the jack while in the air and landed on the pulley. It looks fixable, I just have to pull it off the engine to fix it right.
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 am

bigredlaguna wrote:Before I get some profile pics, I have to fix the crank pulley. The car slipped off the jack while in the air and landed on the pulley. It looks fixable, I just have to pull it off the engine to fix it right.

Wow, you okay? I hope no one was near it!
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm good. The accident actually happened when I started the front suspension. I had just bought a new jack and I wasn't familiar with how it felt when it has a good hold along with low light so I didn't really see where exactly the pad was at. I just hope the front engine bearing is still ok with all 2000+ lbs landing on it, because the tires were still suspended after the shift. I do think I am going to have a jack pad welded onto the crossmember so it is more secure in this situation. My new jack doesn't have the lugs around the perimeter of the lift pad like my old one does.
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum