G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pulse wiper bench test

4 posters

Go down

pulse wiper bench test Empty pulse wiper bench test

Post by crice63 Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 pm

I have a wiper motor that purports to be pulse wipers from a 77 Sprint. I'm trying to test it before installing it. I found the bench test photo in the Fisher Body SM, but my copy only goes up to 76 and maddeningly the pictures on the CD are nearly unreadable. It seems to be indicating 2 12 volt feeds, one to jumper 2 and the other to what appears to be ground screw? And it looks like they have it being grounded to the motor case, which doesn't seem right for a bench test, where the case itself isn't grounded to anything. My motor also doesn't appear to have a red wire they indicate being used. Before I blow up a possibly good motor, does anyone have a diagram or a better pic for the bench test? I'd like to test the washer pump too but that pic is just a black square to me.

pulse wiper bench test 23967441768_0edd2014c9_z

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

pulse wiper bench test Empty Re: pulse wiper bench test

Post by 73ss Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 pm

This may help. It's for a vette which is wired a little different due to the wiper door. If i recall right the case is not grounded. The wiper switch is the ground and you have 12V at the wiper motor when the key is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTtTH8DoCE
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Yes that is helpful, just to see it in action if nothing else. His still doesn't seem to line up with what the manual is saying but at least they both have two hot wires going in.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm

That video is for the std 2-spd wiper. How does the Pulse system fit in? If you figure it out, Clai...let me know. I've got three of them and would like to install one on the Laguna once they are tested.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:28 am

I wish I could figure it out, but after looking long at mine, and testing it on the basic functions, I'm sure it isn't a delay wiper motor. The person who sent me this must have been, uh, misinformed. The 74-76 modified pulse motors are all the same. The 76 manual has only that one.

pulse wiper bench test Screen10

Terminals 1-5 are the same as the 2 speed motor, it's the extra two in the middle that I don't have. I was scratching my head trying to figure out where the extra harness plugs in. Do yours have 7 terminals? I don't think that 77 was the year they figured out how to do all the delay functions with 5 terminals. So I've got to find a pulse motor before I can test it!

(I don't know how to get pics of the manual into a postable image other than to use a screen shot)

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 am

Do you have the switch for the pulse wiper ? I have a wiring diagram for the pulse wiper, which includes the switch layout. It's shown in a '77 wiring diagram...
If it would help you any, PM me your email address & I'll scan it & send it... I would post it, but I'm having problems doing that for some reason...

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:38 am

Here is a pic of the pulse wiper motors for our cars.  I have no knowledge of when a transition to a 5-wire pulse system came about...but, am certain I've seen this 7-wire on full size cars up thru the end of the '70's...if not the very early 80's.  I don't think the one shown on the Wilcox bench test video even has a washer fluid pump on it?

pulse wiper bench test Pulsew10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks for the picture Steve, that is what the manual is showing. The Cardone reman motors are a hundred bucks so I guess I’ll be getting one. They want a core but I don’t know if it has to be a delay core.
Bill I do have the switch, it’s the kind that turns the knob to adjust delay speed. I still need the extra harness and now a motor. I’ll pm you to get the diagram.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I found four pulse motors in my stash and decided to test each one on the Laguna. So, I installed the proper switch and ran the extra wiring harness thru the firewall. Of the four, only one was fully functional with delay and pumping action. Two others had delay...but, weren't pumping fluid. Tried a new pump gasket kit on one to no avail. Not sure why as the mechanics were functioning. I did learn there is one seal around the inner piston that isn't included in the kit and apparently is not reproduced. It could be leaking air around that and not allowing suction. Even disassembled and removed the pump/plunger assembly and tried it manually. Couldn't get it to pull fluid. I installed the good motor/pump and called it a day.

Moral of the story is beware of used motors (2-speed or pulse) if you're looking for one that still has the ability to pump washer fluid.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 pm

On my Elco, I had to go with an aftermarket pump, which appears to be a little rotary pump, but it works good...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Found a good video on YouTube on these motors. He gets to that second rubber seal at about minute 15, near the end. A few comments said they had luck soaking that seal in washer fluid for a day or so. Another person said he put a rubber band into the deep groove under the seal, causing it to puff out and seal. The seal can’t be completely dried out for those solutions to work, though.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down