Last edited by ziyatansu on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ziyatansu
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: 74 malibu

Post by Podor on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Lots involved, especially the rear. The quarter panels and rear frame are different, since the Ď73 didnít have the 5 mph bumper. I think the only difference on the front is how the bumper shocks mount to the frame and the shocks themselves.
Podor
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm

The front is simple. 73 is the first year of the 5 mph bumper up front and its shocks are 73 only. So if you get a complete 73 header panel, bumper with shocks and fillers, your good to go up front. 73 is also a one year only on the plastic front wheel wells but those dont have to be changed for your conversion.
As for the rear, you just need to cut the tail panel off a 73 and graft it onto your 74. Its a good amount of work. Make sure you get the trunk latch as well since they are different. As for the 73 rear bumper, it doesnt have the 5 mph shocks and its mounting brackets bolt to the sides of the 73 only frame. It all can be done but the rear end work is quite substantial.

Heres some pics of the rear section of my 73 frame.

Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:04 pm

The trunk lids are different as well. The latches are in different spots.
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:The trunk lids are different as well. The latches are in different spots.

Is the lid itself different? I thought it was a difference in the latch in the trunk that was different due to the different tail panel.

Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm

You'll need the rear bumper along with the gas tank and filler tube and lic. plate holder.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:32 pm

I believe your correct Joe. The trunk lid should be the same with the latch being different.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 pm

ziyatansu wrote:hey everybody,

was wondering is it possible to replace the front and back ends of a 74 malibu (including taillights, grille and headlights) with
the ones of a 73 chevelle. Basically converting it to look like a 73 chevelle. have been looking for parts online but couldn't find anything substantial. help a brother out! thx

Swapping the nose takes an hour but the rear. Takes cutting and fabricating
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:26 am

Joe73 wrote:
bigredlaguna wrote:The trunk lids are different as well. The latches are in different spots.

Is the lid itself different? †I thought it was a difference in the latch in the trunk that was different due to the different tail panel. †

I have one of each. I'll do a direct comparison, but the latch is the main thing I was talking about from memory.
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am

I also believe the trunk floors are different 73 vs. 74 because the 73's didn't need the larger bumps to clear the hydraulic cylinders like the 74's do. So, you'd also have to find a way to resolve that mismatch.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:04 am

I believe rear side marker light placement is ALSO different, I think they raised the position slightly in 1974-probably not a big deal for most, but just pointing out yet another difference to consider.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 am

Kevin is correct. The trunk pan is a 73 only and the side marker light was moved a bit.

I just checked my GM parts manual from 1974 and it lists a part number for the 73 trunk skin and another number for the 74 skin. Structure is the same. I bet its safe to assume the difference between the 73 and 74 skins is that 73 had holes for the Chevelle emblem. The latch area has to be different because of the different tail panel used in 74.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Seems like a lot of work involved !! Very Happy I probably shouldn't say that though, after a body-off project !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:33 pm

If I had a clean 73 tail, I'd have no problem tackling it. But if I'd had to Piece the Parts together, I would pass on that job.

Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:42 pm

I forgot about the floor pans being different. That could be because of how the filler neck comes in between the two years.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ziyatansu on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:06 pm

Last edited by ziyatansu on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : change of plans)
ziyatansu
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:30 pm

If you want to keep the budget in check, then forget about doing the conversion of the taillights. Unless you know how to do the work yourself. Even then, you are looking at some time to do the work.
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down