1977 Monte for sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1977 Monte for sale

Post by 77camino on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Just saw this on Craigslist. It's a nice car but in an interesting color!

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/1977-monte-carlo-for-sale/6374110010.html

Last edited by 77camino on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
77camino
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Re: 1977 Monte for sale

Post by Mcarlo77 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Beautiful car! I'd like to know more about that color blue...and, what the cowl tag shows as GM only used 2-digit codes.

Vinyl top must have been added as it looks too thick/padded and the qtr window moldings are missing.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Nice color. Top was certainly added maybe at the dealer
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 am

Very nice Monte! Love the color combo. I noticed the lower seat belt retractors are mounted almost on top of the sill plate. Is this factory or a mod? Never seen that before. I had a 1976 El Camino with a power bench seat and the lower retractor unit was mounted under the rear seat mount just like a conventional seat. Here's a picture for reference.

g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am

Noted from an earlier observation....... is no opera window trim. What about the chrome trim outlining the vinyl top ?

Also , notice behind the seat belt retractors there is a hole in the carpet on each side approx. 8 inches behind the retractor.

Someone has also put an extra screw in the upper portion of the upper door panel.

I had a 77.....many years ago. Dont recall the seat belt retractor in that location.
impalamonte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Podor on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am

Light Blue (21) was not available on Chevelles and Monte Carlos in '77. I'm not sure how strict GM was back then, so it may have been available if you know the right person. Not sure what "Lumbard Blue" is, but that isn't what GM called it.

My '77 seat isn't power, but the retractors are mounted under the seat like the others pictured. I'm not sure how it would work between the door and seat hinge. I can't see there being enough room to fit. Both sides are like that though. Any Montes out there that are similar?

Podor
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah...something is odd with those seat belt retractors. NEVER seen anything like that on our gen of cars. That's the same style GM used on previous gen cars; although, those cars didn't have roof mounted shoulder strap retractors. I'm guessing aftermarkets. And, yes...power bench seats had the floor retractor underneath the rear outer seat track leg like mentioned; EXCEPT, when it was a split bench seat. Then, they mounted a retractor behind the seat; like with the swivels (but, not the same style as with the swivels).

Something seems odd with the paint, too. The door jambs and inner door frames seem to have a dull finish...as though the car was repainted and only the exterior received the buffing treatment. My factory paint on the Monte has the same glossy finish in these areas as on the exterior. That's why I mentioned it would be interesting to see the cowl tag info. He mentions it's one of seven. Along with the added vinyl roof and unusual belt retractors, I'm guessing it's been repainted for some kind of company promotion or advertising venture (think Mary Kay; only on a much smaller scale). Those numbers he references don't show up on any GM model color chart.

Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:34 pm

I think the plastic covering the retractor is from a mid '80's to early '90's camaro and they installed the factory belts in them so they wouldn't have to change the buckles. You can see the rivet was drilled out so they could install the factory belts. There is a body bolt close to the location they installed the retractors so they could have used that hole/bolt to install the retractors. I installed the the camaro seat belts in mine and they look very similar to what I have.

Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Think you might be on the right track with the belt retractors, Robert.

BTW...what is that switch/gauge on the underside of the dash (below the headlight switch)?
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:00 pm

I believe the gauge under the dash is a compressor control switch for air shocks.
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Podor on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:40 am

I know we are picking this sweet car to death, but it looks like the drivers side seat belt buckle is tan/saddle.
Podor
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:06 pm

When I was searching for a replacement center seat belt I found many cars in the junkyard that had mismatched color belts on the inside belt. Originally these belts were inside the plastic housing. I'm guessing that they only worried that the plastic housing matched the interior.
77camino
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:17 pm

I wasn't intending to pick apart this car. It's a very nice car! Just noting some of the unusual things done to it...more for reference than anything else.

Regarding the belts, it's absolutely correct that inner belts hidden inside the plastic sheathing were random colors. Guessing the supplier used their leftover odds and ends on these belts to minimize waste/cost.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:05 pm

I emailed the seller and he stated that it was repainted years ago the factory color. He also stated that several people have questioned the top. He said he was unaware that is was missing the window trim, but has since found a set. I asked again about seat belt. I don't think he has changed anything on the car since he has had it.
77camino
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Should have asked him for the cowl tag info.

He may find the reason the qtr window trims weren't installed is because it appears to me the vinyl top is too thick/padded for them to fit. It's definitely not a factory top as they had a seam down the middle at the top.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Seller replied that the top was replaced along with the repaint.
77camino
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Also, he has no knowledge about the seat belts.
77camino
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top