G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4speed conversion questions

+4
Joe73
fasrnur
brownbomber77
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

4speed conversion questions - Page 2 Empty Re: 4speed conversion questions

Post by Joe73 Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:00 am

Here's some trans ratio info. Chart shows the gear ratio of each gear in each type of trans. Check out the 1st and 4th ratios of the 200r4, 700r4 vs. the Muncie. Some great acceleration and cruising ratios.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm

I have a thread of my Muncie swap I believe if you want to check out other info.

Also, I wouldn’t switch my Muncie for any other trans out there. It’s great. I have a small block around 400hp/tq and it handles it well. But I’m also not drag racing.

http://www.5speeds.com/cart/

Check out this place for a Muncie. Hands down builds the absolute best trans out there on the market. He even has a YouTube channel in which he discusses what he does to his trans.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I've grown out of manual transmissions. For a street car yeah a stick is fun for a little while but gets old quick. I've gone as quick as 10.10 at 133 power shifting a 4 speed but a transbrake gives the same launch as a stick and a manual t-400 is enough to handle in under 9 seconds.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 pm

bitterfitter wrote:So have you guys all turned on me?!  Sounds like you guys are saying to stay with the automatic.

To give you an idea of how 4th gear will be in a 4-spd, Drive around with you current set-up in 3rd gear which is 1:1. Do some highway cruising. If you don't mind the higher rpms go with the 4-spd, otherwise you'll want to look at a 5 or 6 spd, Or stick with the auto you have now.

Do you do much highway driving or just around town? One other thing to consider is lack of a OD gear with 3.73 gears is alot more wear and tear on the motor.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:26 am

All you guys make great sense and bring up items I haven't even thought about. After reading over the thread from the start I think I am better off staying with the automatic trans with OD and fine tuning what I have.

I do drive both on the streets and highways. I have a 45 minute drive on the thruway to work every morning. And the way home gets bumper to bumper a lot which would test my left knee with the clutch in a manual. ( I had knee surgery from a skiing accident a couple years ago.)
The cost of doing the conversion correctly would be rather large. The pedals, console, carpet, trans, clutch, linkage, etc.. would add up to a lot of money and down time for the car. And after all that I would end up about where I am right now. This all started with me asking about the value of our cars in case I had to put mine up for sale. I don't think I could recover the investment this would take to convert to a manual.
If I decide to undertake another A-body, I will build that one as a manual from the start. I also have a T-Top kit I bought in case I do another car. That one will get the T-Tops as mine has the skyroof.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2