G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear spring pearch

3 posters

Go down

Rear spring pearch Empty Rear spring pearch

Post by 73ss Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm overhauling another rear for the car and noticed that the spring perches/mounts that the coil springs sit on are off from side to side. One is angled farther back than the other. I checked the angles of the bracket that the lower control arm and shock mount to and they are dead nuts side to side. The spring mounts have a 5 deg variation from side to side as if the axle tube rotated some. Anyone ever notice this? Is it normal?
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Rear spring pearch Empty Re: Rear spring pearch

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 am

Probably just not welded correctly from the factory.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:08 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:Probably just not welded correctly from the factory.  

Looks like it is. I checked the rear that was under the car, and on that one, the spring mounts are dead nuts side to side and the control arm/shock mount brackets have a 1~1.5 deg difference side to side. Quality control back in the day.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:00 pm

You have to remember that GM is the outfit that built the Vega, and the Cadillac 4-6-8 engine, among other junk, so get out your cut off wheel & remove those welds ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am

73ss wrote:
bracketchev1221 wrote:Probably just not welded correctly from the factory.  

Looks like it is. I checked the rear that was under the car, and on that one, the spring mounts are dead nuts side to side and the control arm/shock mount brackets have a 1~1.5 deg difference side to side. Quality control back in the day.

If you checked the spring seats and the control arm mounts, the tubes didn't move. If the control arm mounts are equal, then the tubes are where they belong.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:12 pm

pila wrote:You have to remember that GM is the outfit that built the Vega, and the Cadillac 4-6-8 engine, among other junk, so get out your cut off wheel & remove those welds ! Very Happy

Of course this was found AFTER sandblast, cleaning and paint. I'll have to get it under the car and see exactly needs where the spring perch needs to be.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down