73 74 chevelle factory ITM shifter

Go down

73 74 chevelle factory ITM shifter

Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 am

Not mine, but anyone looking for a factory 73-74 4 speed shifter ???? Hard to find. Theres one on ebay !!! And cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ITM-Round-Bar-4-Speed-Shifter-1973-1974-Pontiac-Grand-Am-Chevy-Chevelle-Laguna/173199694542?hash=item2853819ace:g:JfIAAOSwcXxanxwq&vxp=mtr
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: 73 74 chevelle factory ITM shifter

Post by Mcarlo77 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 pm

So, since I know nothing about 4-spd conversions, what would you use for linkage and a replacement handle? Are the Hurst handles and linkage compatible?
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 pm

I can help you out with all the correct part numbers for the rods and arms for a factory ITM shifter. For either a saginaw or muncie, I have both complete shiters, rods and arms. And I have the parts books with all the factory part numbers for you.

Hurst handles and linkage are not compatible but they can be made to work with a little tweaking. The hurst competition plus shifter bolts to the factory ITM shifter mounting plate so the lengths are very close and can be made to work.

Let me know if you need anything, pics, part numbers etc. That shifter in the auction is in real nice shape as is the handle. Handle just needs to be rechromed. Shifter looks barely used.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Hmmm...got me thinking more seriously about it. Was just wondering how difficult it would be to find all the necessary hardware to make such a conversion. The ITM shifter mounting plate you mention...how difficult is it to find one of those, for instance? What could I expect to pay for the manual transmission?
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

The parts are pretty much the same across all A bodies. The shifter mounting plate is availabe aftermarket as well. The linkage for both a muncie or saginaw are also used across A bodies and some pontiacs used the same linkage in 1972.

As for a shifter, we all know that a hurst shifter is a big improvement over an ITM. I have located a manufacturer that makes a handle that looks just like the factory one but it bolts up to a hurst. So you could actually put a hurst in the car and have a stock looking shifter. Cant tell the difference. Just a thought.

As for a trans. Saginaws run around 2-500 in good shape. Muncies run 4-900 in good shape. Condition is everything. You have to inspect them, open the side cover and take a look. But you could get a fully rebuilt muncie, ready to go in for around 1000-1200.

The only thing I personally worry about, the no one else (even the trans rebuilders), care about is the vin number on the trans. Unless you get an aftermarket case or luck out with an "over the counter" case, you will have a vin number on it. Vin numbers can come back to stolen cars and your left holding the bag with stolen property. But thats just me.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Points well taken. Suppose it seems kinda ridiculous to build a 4-spd set-up around a bargain ITM shifter, huh? Probably should start with finding a good tranny and go from there.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Comes down to rear gears for me. Any four speed will still have a one to one final ratio. Id recommend a five speed and low rear gears.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 am

Wow canít believe it! Great find Joe. I scoured eBay and Craigslist every day for a year and a half to find one of these. I ultimately found what I needed on Facebook
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by RossK73 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Hey Guys - just thinking about switching my ITM shifter out for a Hurst to make it more functional (and fun). I see the 3916848 is listed as the one that fits my 73 car but says it goes to trannys with the 453 Munchie. I am just wondering if this is the correct hurst and do I have to use their conversion kit or will my existing arms work? I did have an issue with the lower lever (reverse, I think) on my ITM as it is real close to the cross member and by the hurst pictures, that lever looks even longer!!
Thanx
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:52 pm

First question is- what trans do you have? the Saginaw or the Muncie? The Saginaw has all 3 levers on the side cover (1-2, 3-4, and R) while the Muncie has the reverse lever back on the tail housing, which is why that reverse lockout rod is longer on the Muncie.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:24 pm

If your ITM shifter reverse arm is close to the crossmember, I'd check that trans mount. You probably need a new one.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:44 pm

There is a wide ratio and a close ratio 4-speed trans gear box, If I remember correctly. Close ratio kinda needed a higher ratio rear end. Years ago, a neighbor kid had a close ratio, with an auto rear end, and ate a couple clutches just from feathering it in 1st gear, to get moving !! I got involved in changing rear gears for him...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Yes, in 73 and 74 there were wide ratio and close ratio transmissions offered. †Small blocks got the wide ratio (M20 build sheet code). †Big blocks got the close ratio (M21 build sheet code). †

Now the M20 and M21 build sheet codes only refer to whether you got the wide or close ratio. †Not the trans type ie, muncie or saginaw. †An M20 could be either a muncie or saginaw. †A M21 was always a muncie. The M20 and M21 build sheet designations were used throughout the years, not just our gen.

Option manual trans did change in 1975 when GM went to the Borg Warner in the camaro and corvette if I remember correctly. I dont know what build sheet designation the 75 and later cars used. But no manual trans was offered in our cars after 74.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RossK73 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 pm

sorry I should have specified. yes it's the BB version with the M21. And I did replace the tranny mount which solved the contact issue. Just wondering if this is what Hurst calls the 453 and if my rods will work with model 3916848? Cheers!
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 pm

1964-1967 Muncie (451)
1968 Muncie (451)
1969-1972 Muncie (452/453)
1973-1974 Muncie (453)

So if your Muncie has a "661" case it would be 1971 and later (actually 1970 1/2), fine 26 spline input and 32 spline output (turbo 400). All 71-74 have that setup regardless if they are a wide or close ratio. 71-74 are the strongest muncies factory produced.

As for your rods and model number would work, I'd cross reference them at https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/productcart/pc/Hurst-Replacement-Shifter-Handles-Sticks-c51.htm That way you would know for sure.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down