Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 70

Back to top Go down

Re: These dont come up too often

Post by Limey SE on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 pm

How would these mount Joe he is driving distance from me ?

Management

Street Cred : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 pm

I've seen those before, but not very often. I've always liked the Lakewood Ladder bars myself. A friend in high school had a pair of the Lakewoods on his 67 Chevelle and man would it hook.
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Remove your rear lower control arm bolt, put bar in place, replace bolt.  Heim joint goes to the axle rebound perch.  Bolt goes through the perch and the heim joint.  Very simple installation.

I dont recommend them for the street for this reason.  Lets says you set up the snubber a 1/2" from your frame.  Your driving down the road, hit a dip and the rear goes down more than the 1/2".   Just normal driving.  In that dip the snubber will touch the frame and rotate the pinion downward.  Not a big deal on a small dip at low speed.  But stress is all on the axle rebound perch which isnt a real strong piece.  

But if you drag the car alot, you would put the snubber just touching the frame and that would stop the axle rotation upon launch.  That would be a good thing.  

I have a brand new set of these from Competition Engineering that I purchased new back when they first came out.  I never decided to install them for the above reason.  

I also ran the 73-77 ladder bars for some time but they are hard on our cars.  The dont mount like previous generation to the lower control arm bolt.  Ours mount to the SHOCK BOLT which is a horrible location.  I've ripped open that shock bolt hole numerous times.  Not fun at all.  I sold the ladder bars back in the early 90s.  

I think the best option for a street driven car, to increase traction with no ill effect on anything, would be the edit Miller No-hop bars with adjustable upper arms.  He sells them as a kit for our cars for $500.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 pm

fasrnur wrote:
I've seen those before, but not very often. I've always liked the Lakewood Ladder bars myself. A friend in high school had a pair of the Lakewoods on his 67 Chevelle and man would it hook.

Those arent for previous gen A bodies. Previous gen mount to the rearward lower control arm bolt.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Those are pretty much the same.  But for our gen cars the top of the heim joint rod would not have the bracket shown in that pic.  It would be a tube welded perpendicular to the rod.  That is so a bolt can slide through, horizontally, through the axle rebound bumper perch.  Very weak spot to mount to in my opinion.

I have also seen them with just a heim joint up top for a bolt to go through.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Lakewood/620/20188/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710927973&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=44693592161&CATCI=aud-194567928791:pla-192355992311&CATARGETID=230006180039217274&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudfykZ_t2QIVHbbACh1udgwCEAQYAyABEgK-pfD_BwE
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:47 am

I have never seen a set that didn't use a bracket to attach the adjusting rod to the snubber mount. I am pretty sure the Jegs link listed just doesn't show it for the picture. But it is in the instructions to use a bracket.
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:11 pm

I remember when they first came out they had the rod with a heim joint that connected to the traction bar. But on the top end of the bar it had a "T" welded on that fit inside the rebound perch. I thought it was a poor design. Looks like they now redesigned it.

I've always loved the look of ladder bars but they just arent practical on the street.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum