olds rear axle

Go down

olds rear axle

Post by 73ss on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Been spending the past few months overhauling another rear for my car. According to the numbers it's a buick/olds rear. Looks like the G3's came with one of 3 types. Chevy, Pontiac, & Buick/Olds. Each takes it's own axle bearing/seal. The B/O rear has bolt in axles and no "C" clip. The axles are slightly bigger in diameter than the C clip type. They don't neck down after the splines like on the C clip type. The housing itself seems to be more robust than the chevy. The spot welds holding the axle tubes in are nickle size compared to the dime size welds on the chevy. Even the rear cover is thicker and has a bigger outward buldge, I'm guessing to hold more fluid. Maybe these are a few of the things that made a buick or olds higher up on the GM ladder. This rear is the original that came in my car when I first got it. I would say it is original due to the date code. The chevy service manual also covers this rear. I took it out many years ago and put a C clip type with posi in. It was a 2.73 open. 3.73 posi now. Decided to use it because of the bolt in axles. The carriers interchange between the 2. I re-used the carrier from the other rear. New gears and bearings. A friend of mine has the proper pinion depth tools and we set it up. Decided to give Motive Gear a try. Had richmond in the old one. Always had a bit of noise. I'll get a new cover this week and maybe some new brake lines and stick it in the car. If you guys run across one of these you may want to get it. Makes for a nice core to rebuild.   

73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: olds rear axle

Post by brownbomber77 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 pm

I sold the 2.73 open for $200 a while ago out of my brother's car to stick in a Roadmaster rear axle with 3.42 gears. These bolt in axles are great for power but no disc brakes. What's the power level necessary to start breaking C-clips apart anyway?

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm

No issues with the C clips and power that I've heard of. No power is applied to the C clips. The bolt in axles are just better in case something breaks, the axle wont walk out. You can always ditch the C clips and install some C clip eliminators.
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Bolt in axle type won't necessarily handle more power. Same carrier and gears. Axles are slightly larger. Just looks to be a better built rear all the way around. I'm going to weigh it before I stick it in the car. It seems heavier moving it around.
Last time I was at the strip, A fox body mustang broke an axle and the wheel started walking out. The guy got the car stopped in time before any damage was done. The main reason for ditching the C clips.
73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:38 am

If you run disc brakes, that's kinda like a C-clip eliminator....haha

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:45 pm

The Buick olds Pontiac cars were more expensive due to the small extras you got compared with Chevrolet.
Stuff you really don't notice unless you tear them down..
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum