Who has a 4l80e in their car?

Go down

Who has a 4l80e in their car?

Post by alowerlevel on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Just picked up a 4l80e to swap into my 73 later this year. †Other than the crossmember & driveshaft, anything else that will give me problems? Like trans tunnel fitment etc? †Thanks
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Who has a 4l80e in their car?

Post by 73ss on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:08 pm

I think †74Malibu383 †is running one. Haven't seen anything from him on here in a while. Maybe PM him. I have read elsewhere where the floor pan will need massaging.
73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:15 pm

My friend has a 4l80e in his 81 c10 and itís nothing but problems with the computer and shift linkage.
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 pm

JF74chevelle wrote:My friend has a 4l80e in his 81 c10 and itís nothing but problems with the computer and shift linkage.

Thanks but im not really worried about anything in that area, my car already has the wiring in it for a 80e and the computer to run it. †Im more concerned with fitment issues, but im not afraid of taking the BFH to the tunnel.

Last edited by alowerlevel on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:52 pm

73ss wrote:I think †74Malibu383 †is running one. Haven't seen anything from him on here in a while. Maybe PM him. I have read elsewhere where the floor pan will need massaging.

Thanks, yea i forgot he has one in his 74. Ill have to see what issues he had
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel on Wed May 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Bought a crossmember off ebay that said its for 73-77 w/ 4l80e figured it would just be a china one for the price, https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-4L80E-Transmission-Crossmember-1973-1977-A-Body-Cars-4L80E-4L85E-/322670717167?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Showed up today and its actually a g-force one, so pretty happy about that for only 135 bucks.
Now just have to start saving for a good converter for it
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 am

Those crossmembers are rock solid. I have one in mine. Well worth the money.
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by pila on Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 am

My buddy who lives across the road from me has a 4L80, that came from a 1 ton Chevy van. I thought about using it, but that was just after I finished the Elco. Didn't know at the time, about tunnel clearance issues. I would be inclined to cut the floor/tunnel section, to get it in there. Is the problem the width ?? Or height also ??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 on Fri May 04, 2018 2:34 pm

No tunnel clearance issues at all. It sure is heavy though! Only automatic option though really for a lot of power. People can tell you all about how their 700R4 or 4L60 holds up to a lot of power, but they just don't.

I've upgraded a few parts in my 4L80 to hold the power. Mostly the Sprag, and the shafts, along with the good clutch packs. I've had both the GMPP Supermatic controller and now the Holley Dominator control the shifting. I had great luck with both, and love how I can program it to shift like a new car when my foot's not in it, and then like a race car when I put the throttle down.

Can't comment on the crossmember though. There weren't any aftermarket crossmembers when I installed mine, so I had to make my own.
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK on Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am

Please do chime in if you have other tips and ideas. At next winter, I will be installing A ZZ502 crate engine and a 4L80 trans in my Monte, so I will be listening in :-)

Have already bought a trans from Phoenix Transmissions...and the G-force crossmember :-)

Does anybody now if there are any driveshafts there will fit, or is there no way around ordering a custom driveshaft?
VikingDK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm

FWIW, my 200-4R came from Phoenix. Well built, handles anything I throw at it. I added an external filter and extra cooler to protect my investment.

They do good work, but they were kind of nitwits about leaving out the entire speedo gear assembly, though. I had to source those locally.
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss on Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm

thatfnthing wrote:FWIW, my 200-4R came from Phoenix. †Well built, handles anything I throw at it. †I added an external filter and extra cooler to protect my investment.

They do good work, but they were kind of nitwits about leaving out the entire speedo gear assembly, though. †I had to source those locally.

X2. Mine is from a local shop. Deep Hughes pan and extra cooler as well. http://janistransmission.com/index.html
73ss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum