G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has a 4l80e in their car?

+5
thatfnthing
74Malibu383
pila
alowerlevel
JF74chevelle
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who has a 4l80e in their car? Empty Who has a 4l80e in their car?

Post by alowerlevel Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Just picked up a 4l80e to swap into my 73 later this year.  Other than the crossmember & driveshaft, anything else that will give me problems? Like trans tunnel fitment etc?  Thanks
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Who has a 4l80e in their car? Empty Re: Who has a 4l80e in their car?

Post by 73ss Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:08 pm

I think  74Malibu383  is running one. Haven't seen anything from him on here in a while. Maybe PM him. I have read elsewhere where the floor pan will need massaging.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:15 pm

My friend has a 4l80e in his 81 c10 and it’s nothing but problems with the computer and shift linkage.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 pm

JF74chevelle wrote:My friend has a 4l80e in his 81 c10 and it’s nothing but problems with the computer and shift linkage.

Thanks but im not really worried about anything in that area, my car already has the wiring in it for a 80e and the computer to run it.  Im more concerned with fitment issues, but im not afraid of taking the BFH to the tunnel.

Who has a 4l80e in their car? 20180314

Last edited by alowerlevel on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:52 pm

73ss wrote:I think  74Malibu383  is running one. Haven't seen anything from him on here in a while. Maybe PM him. I have read elsewhere where the floor pan will need massaging.

Thanks, yea i forgot he has one in his 74. Ill have to see what issues he had
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Wed May 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Bought a crossmember off ebay that said its for 73-77 w/ 4l80e figured it would just be a china one for the price, https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-4L80E-Transmission-Crossmember-1973-1977-A-Body-Cars-4L80E-4L85E-/322670717167?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Showed up today and its actually a g-force one, so pretty happy about that for only 135 bucks.
Now just have to start saving for a good converter for it
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 am

Those crossmembers are rock solid. I have one in mine. Well worth the money.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 am

My buddy who lives across the road from me has a 4L80, that came from a 1 ton Chevy van. I thought about using it, but that was just after I finished the Elco. Didn't know at the time, about tunnel clearance issues. I would be inclined to cut the floor/tunnel section, to get it in there. Is the problem the width ?? Or height also ??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri May 04, 2018 2:34 pm

No tunnel clearance issues at all. It sure is heavy though! Only automatic option though really for a lot of power. People can tell you all about how their 700R4 or 4L60 holds up to a lot of power, but they just don't.

I've upgraded a few parts in my 4L80 to hold the power. Mostly the Sprag, and the shafts, along with the good clutch packs. I've had both the GMPP Supermatic controller and now the Holley Dominator control the shifting. I had great luck with both, and love how I can program it to shift like a new car when my foot's not in it, and then like a race car when I put the throttle down.

Can't comment on the crossmember though. There weren't any aftermarket crossmembers when I installed mine, so I had to make my own.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am

Please do chime in if you have other tips and ideas. At next winter, I will be installing A ZZ502 crate engine and a 4L80 trans in my Monte, so I will be listening in :-)

Have already bought a trans from Phoenix Transmissions...and the G-force crossmember :-)

Does anybody now if there are any driveshafts there will fit, or is there no way around ordering a custom driveshaft?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm

FWIW, my 200-4R came from Phoenix. Well built, handles anything I throw at it. I added an external filter and extra cooler to protect my investment.

They do good work, but they were kind of nitwits about leaving out the entire speedo gear assembly, though. I had to source those locally.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm

thatfnthing wrote:FWIW, my 200-4R came from Phoenix.  Well built, handles anything I throw at it.  I added an external filter and extra cooler to protect my investment.

They do good work, but they were kind of nitwits about leaving out the entire speedo gear assembly, though.  I had to source those locally.

X2. Mine is from a local shop. Deep Hughes pan and extra cooler as well. http://janistransmission.com/index.html
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu May 02, 2019 10:04 am

Hi, did you get the swap to 4L80e done?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 2fat2fly Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 am

I've had the 4L80's since 02, had to cut the 2 lower ears off to help clear the exhaust, plus makes it easier to pull, also modified the tranny support, no problems anywhere else
2fat2fly
2fat2fly
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:56 am

I got divorced last sommer, so the project was postponed til this winter...but 2 weeks from now, I will be pulling the old engine and trans :-)
The 4L80 has been waiting in the garage for a year and a half now, so cant wait to get the project going....
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:03 pm

HMM did a article swapping one into a 69 chevelle. They used a low profile rear mount with the g force cross member and used banjo bolt fittings for the cooler lines. The hard lines wouldn't clear the tunnel. They didn't list any other fitment issues. If your car has a TH-400 now you can probably have that driveshaft shortened. Let us know how it goes. Shiftworks has pan brackets, linkage parts, etc.
I bought a 454/4l80 a while back and can tell you the trans is alot heavier than a 400. My back hurts just looking at the thing.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 am

Havent been on here much recently, but i did get the 4l80e in the car with only very minor issues.  No problems with room in the trans tunnel, just massaged the pinch weld slightly to make it easier to get to the bolts.   The G-force crossmember worked out beautifully, well worth the money IMHO.  Making the cooler lines took more time than anything with having to try to keep the lines away from the heat of the turbo, I used 3/8' NiCopp line (cheaper and easier to work with than AN lines).  Also had a 3.5" driveshaft made locally.
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:33 am

And yes its quite large compared to a th350.  You can also see the start of the cooler lines here.
Who has a 4l80e in their car? 2019-016

Best pic I have of it in the car
Who has a 4l80e in their car? 2019-015Who has a 4l80e in their car? 2019-017
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:01 am

Great info....I will be making cooler lines similar to yours, looks good :-)
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:38 am

Lets see that thing going in and any challenges Viking......
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:43 am

I have hat some challenges with finding a place/garage were I can work on the Monte...but got that solved 2 weeks ago, and are just about ready to pull the old 350. Starting next weekend with taking the front and fenders off....for better access. The ceiling is low, so need to remove the radiator support....but that also gives good access to remove the A/C kondenser and change it over to normal heating. You can do without A/C in Denmark, the sommers are not that hot...and the weight saving is also great for performance....and also like the more clean look in engine bay :-)
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:53 am

By the way....what are you guys doing regarding frame mounts? I like the fact, that the ones for my SB are boltet on with 4 bolts, and not 3 as the BB! I can see that it sits further back than the BB, will the SB mounts couse clearence issues at the firewall...or at the brake booster?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:27 pm

VikingDK wrote:By the way....what are you guys doing regarding frame mounts? I like the fact, that the ones for my SB are boltet on with 4 bolts, and not 3 as the BB! I can see that it sits further back than the BB, will the SB mounts couse clearence issues at the firewall...or at the brake booster?

I cant answer that as my car has a turbo LS in it, but maybe someone else can.

Who has a 4l80e in their car? 2018-024
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 am

New quistion: I want to keep my columshifter and therefore are looking for solutions for linkage. Other than Lokar or Shiftworks, are there any cheaper....or better solutions?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:46 am

Ended up with a TCI Fast Gate floor shifter...easy install. No issues either with the transmission install.
ZZ502 big Block and transmission both fit well :-)
Who has a 4l80e in their car? Carla_10
Who has a 4l80e in their car? Carla_11
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next