G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help again again

3 posters

Go down

Need help again again Empty Need help again again

Post by Hs1973 Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi guys. I know there is some wery knowlegble people here that have helped me tremendous in the past, so ill try again.

I have a build 355 sbc in my chevelle. Its hooked to a 350 c trans with lockup. Im putting a restored and stronger 700r4 in, im later putting a 454 in. But the old trans is slipping so im changing the trans now. Here is the thing, with the 350c the car has been ok on the street, but a Real dog of the Line. When i hit 2500-3000 it Wakes up. Also driving Down the highway it feels like one of the brakes are dragging even though its not. Its the car itself that feels wery heavy and needs to get on the gas to coast. When put in neutral at speed it coast just nicely for a pretty long time without getting on the gas, but in gear it needs constant rapping on the gas to coast at say 50.

If im coasting at 40-50 mph and step on it, it feels fast as hell and takes of so your insides change places inside the gut. But of the Line its pretty slow.

So since im putting in a new trans i wanted to get a new converter with a stallspeed that is better suited for my car since i belive i have the Wrong stallspeed converter for my car in it now, it Came with the 350c from a 305 malibu. And that is why the car feels so heavy and dragging under 2500 Rpm ?????

I dont know much about the cam in it. But here is what i do know

355 sbc with a lumpy mild cam.

Street driven only.

3:23 rear with posi.

275/60/15 rear tires.

I know its difficult to find the right stallspeed converter but end advise in the right direction is welcome.

Regards from Copenhagen.

Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Need help again again Empty Re: Need help again again

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 pm

The 700r4 will definitely help it accelerate off the line quicker. It has a 3.06 gear ratio vs. a 2.52 in the th350. A stall converter matched to your engine's power curve will help it that much more. So it sounds like a 2500 rpm stall converter for the 700 will wake up your car very nicely.

You might also try a shorter tire. I was impressed by how much just a 1/2" difference made on my daughter's 74.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Thank you wery much for the help. Im going to try a 2500 stall when i buy parts. And maybe next time im buying tires i will se if i can find a lower tire for it. Thanks again.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 pm

The converter will help. Maybe there is just something internally wrong with the transmission. Once you go with the 454 it will wake up, but like was said, the new trans with the 3.06 gear will help acceleration. basically you have an overall gear ratio. So right now, you have a 2.52 trans gear with 3.23 rear gears, or 2.52X3.23=8.14. Take this 8.14 and look at your new ratio of 3.06X3.23=9.88. With your 2.52 trans, that would be like putting 3.92 gears in the rear.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:59 am

Im not sure there is something Wrong with the trans as such. It drives and shifts as it should. I Think its the whole deal thats the problem. The trans is a 350C from a 1980 olds diesel. I will see how things behave when i get the new trans in. Im sure the 454 will Wake it up since its a whole other deal than the smallblock. I have tried it when it was in my Buddys camaro, and i almost soiled myself when i stod on it. Holy s... That thing is a monster compared to the 350. But it will have to wait till i have the funds to do it. Thank you for your help all of you.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum