Upgrade on a budget !

Go down

Upgrade on a budget !

Post by NOMOREWORK on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Decided to put my story here so I can document my upgrades. So far I have replaced original upper and lower ball joints, front and rear springs with 1 inch lower Bell Techs, front bushings with parts from Energy Suspension and a close ratio steering box. Rear drums have been replaced with a SSBC disc brake conversion kit, and a UMI rear suspension kit is waiting to be installed next.

NOMOREWORK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Upgrade on a budget !

Post by REVINKEVIN on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 pm

This will be a nice project to watch. I like that car.
REVINKEVIN
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Nice looking ride sir.
That's quite some budget(?) build. lol
I'm on a bit of a lower budget build and have been using as many factory parts to get where you are at. WS6 Trans Am front sway bar (1 1/4"), Impala SS rear sway bar (1") and complete set of Impala SS springs. For the rear disc conversion I have the complete set up off a 93 Camaro. †I have a set of stock rear control arms that I'm going to box as well. I do plan on installing a quick steer box on mine as well. Which box did you go with?

I wish I had that kind of budget cause I could go wild with factory parts. haha
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by NOMOREWORK on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:55 pm

It's from a company called PSC from their Resto Series, got it from Summit. I guess the word budget is a bit misleading but after spending some time on the Pro-Touring forum I am definitely operating on a budget !!!
I also don't have access to an abundance of good used parts in my area.

NOMOREWORK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by NOMOREWORK on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Ordered my tires today,245-45-17 for the front and 275-40-17 for the rear. They will be mounted on American Racing 17x8 and 17x9 Magnum Wheels.

NOMOREWORK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by NOMOREWORK on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:45 am

Rear suspension pieces installed so I took only a very short ride because something was banging big time in the rear. Put car back up on jack stands and discovered a caliper bolt was hitting frame, so I rotated it and bolted it back up. Gained some clearance but thought I could use more. Installed a spacer between the rear spring and the mounting point and no more banging. So far everything I have changed has been a noticeable improvement over stock, steering, handling , braking and ride quality have all gotten better! I am very pleased! Next up wheels and tires, and then I will take a break.

NOMOREWORK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by NOMOREWORK on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Picture taken after lowering.

NOMOREWORK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by NOMOREWORK on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:07 pm

So I take the wheels to the tire shop and leave them to be mounted, 2 boxes marked 17x8 2 boxes marked 17x9 just as I ordered them. Tech starts to mount tires and checks each wheel first noticing that one wheel is stamped 17x7. So back to Indy Auto Parts I go to get the right wheel. Guy there says I think I will ask American Racing to overnight the right wheel since this wasn't your fault. Ya think !!!

NOMOREWORK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:24 pm

It is looking mighty fine, though!
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 55

Back to top Go down

New wheels and tires.

Post by NOMOREWORK Yesterday at 4:08 pm

New wheels and tires finally on!

NOMOREWORK
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN Yesterday at 5:45 pm

That worked out nice. I canít wait until I get to this point with my car. Good job. Whatís next??
REVINKEVIN
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum