G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations

+4
dhw3971
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
bigredlaguna
testpilot61
8 posters

Go down

electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations Empty electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations

Post by dhw3971 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:26 am

I have been using a FiTech Fuel Command Center for a year. The damn thing whines like a turbocharged hair dryer (I'm assuming it is NOT supposed to sound like that) and becomes very irritating after 15-20 minutes. I want to remove it and replace it with an in-line or in-tank fuel pump. Has anyone installed fuel injection and found a pump (that's also quiet) that works well?
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations Empty In tank fuel pump

Post by testpilot61 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:43 am

I'm running fuel injection on my 76 Chevelle Classic. I installed a 93 caprice gas tank that fits perfectly. It's got the in-tank pump and all the requisite baffles that a FI system needs.

Hopefully you can find one of these, saves a lot of trouble and headaches.

Should you have any questions I'm most willing to help.

Jerry Harman
Okie 61

testpilot61
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations Empty Re: electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations

Post by dhw3971 Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Hmmm...I also have a station wagon, which I believe makes the tank-finding and swapping more difficult, correct?
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations Empty Re: electric fuel pump for EFI recommendations

Post by impalamonte Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I too am running a similar tank from a 95 SS.

I do not know the architecture , as I have no experience with wagons myself. I can only think the differences are minimal as part sharing among our A-Bodies is rampant.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:37 pm

dhw3971 wrote:...(I'm assuming it is NOT supposed to sound like that)...

That's not necessarily true. One of the main reasons the factory puts them inside the tank is BECAUSE they're so damned noisy.

I'd love to suggest one, but mine came with the custom tank I ordered, so I don't actually know what make/model it is.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Maybe you could source a 96 or so fuel tank for a Roadmaster wagon or a Caprice wagon
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 am

Hey.  I don't know how much horse power your car is making but look at these Holley pumps.  They are expensive but they will work just fine.  The factory went to in tank pumps to keep them quiet and keep them cool.  All you need is an EFI sending unit that will fit your stock tank.  Cheers.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/fuel_cell_efi_fuel_pump_modules/
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:15 pm

I will investigate but it looks like those are for fuel cells, which I don't have. I have found universal drop-in pumps from Summit Racing but don't know if they will work.

I might be making 175HP; 200 if I'm lucky.  Got the original engine with only change being a camshaft that is slightly more aggressive than the stock unit.
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:48 pm

I have a dual stealth system that I installed, but swapped it out for a stainless tank and dual CTSV pumps. WAY more pump than you need, but I'd be happy to let it go for cheap!

info:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18309?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-aeromotive&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv-DaBRCcARIsAI9sba9DiRxK8862gdkyCr2c4N_T99BihFWyXbkM8RA7XoOkE07PHBLPtcoaApqoEALw_wcB
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 pm

testpilot61 wrote:I'm running fuel injection on my 76 Chevelle Classic.  I installed a 93 caprice gas tank that fits perfectly.  It's got the in-tank pump and all the requisite baffles that a FI system needs.

Hopefully you can find one of these, saves a lot of trouble and headaches.

Should you have any questions I'm most willing to help.

Jerry Harman
Okie 61

Is that a plastic tank? Any issues with the filler neck fitting the chevelle? Thanks
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:25 am

Mine is a plastic tank from a 95 SS. Their should not be an issue with "hooking" it up as the "filler neck" assembly dislocates from the plastic tank via a standard hose clamp. For the Chevelle , most likely one should be to incorporate the entire assembly from the Impala / Caprice.
May / may not have to shorten the rubber hose between the filler neck and plastic tank.

For my application , with the gas fill point low in the bumper behind the license plate. I cut the filler neck off my old tank and used a piece of rubber hose to connect it to the plastic gas tank .
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:32 am

impalamonte wrote:For my application , with the gas fill point low in the bumper behind the license plate. I cut the filler neck off my old tank and used a piece of rubber hose to connect it to the plastic gas tank .

That's the part I wondered about, otherwise I would have gone that route. Oh well, live and learn.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down