G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need some help

4 posters

Go down

need some help Empty need some help

Post by alive 75 Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 pm

so i went from a 2.73 stock rear end gear, to a posi track 3,73 rear end gear, but now my speedometer is way off. I know i need to change the speedo gear in the trans. so does any one know the exact speedo gear to get??
thanks Danny

also im doing the break in procedure following the instructions, is it really necessary to change the fluids after the 500 mile break in point??
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

need some help Empty Re: need some help

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 pm

If you changed the oil after the initial break in and tuning runs, you should be good for a bit. I would not go more than 1000 miles if you did that. But if you didn't change the oil after break in, then definitely change it at or before 500. You will be surprised at the pretty metal flake colors in the oil when you do.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 pm

You may have to take the tail shaft housing off to get the right gears for the speedo, but before you do, you can just take out the driven gear and look at the drive gear to see what color it is. The color corresponds to the tooth count and will help figure out if you can just get the appropriate driven gear.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 pm

You may have to take the tail shaft housing off to get the right gears for the speedo, but before you do, you can just take out the driven gear and look at the drive gear to see what color it is. The color corresponds to the tooth count and will help figure out if you can just get the appropriate driven gear. Also need to know the tire size on the rear axle
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:24 pm

Also, if your tires are not stock diameter, that will effect your speedo a bit as well. Have to add that into the calculation.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:52 am

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member