G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floor console

2 posters

Go down

Floor console Empty Floor console

Post by HDHugger Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 am

ISO a picture... 1975 Chevelle with swivel buckets... need to see how the floor console lines up on the back ... I think it should be straight down the middle but the holes in the floor pan (on the hump) make it offset to the driver's side a bit. This is a conversion from bench seat to the floor shifter, so the holes may but there for the console mounting brackets. If anyone can take a picture of this area from the back seat, from a car with original console and swivel buckets, I would appreciate it. Posting on the facebook site also. TIA!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Floor console Empty Re: Floor console

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:35 am

Pretty much straight down the middle of the hump, Jackie.  If there aren't holes for the rearward 4 mtg points, I would think there should be indents as to where to drill.  Then, of course, there is the front mtg bracket that was spot-welded to the hump.  It, too, is centered on the hump.  Only hole not centered is where the shift cable passes thru the hump.  That is offset towards the driver side (last photo shows that hole).

Floor console Consol11

Floor console Consol10

Floor console Consol12
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:42 am

Thanks MCarlo! This is what it looks like right now...

Floor console Img_4410

And how it ends up offset...

Floor console Img_4411

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 am

MCarlo, I just got info that I have the wrong inner lap belts for swivels. Dammit. They look the same as the ones for the bench seat... I bought them from someone a few years ago but they look exactly the same as what I already had. They are too high for swivel buckets.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Were those holes for the shifter plate and (2) forward console mtg holes already provided for you? I guess you wouldn't have the rear reinforcing brace for reference with factory bench seats since that was only provided for swivel bucket cars to provide the inner mtg studs for the seat tracks. I'd just lay the console in place, center it best you can and mark the rear holes. You'll need to fabricate a front mtg bracket to secure the forward part of the console. Here is what that looks like (to the left in the photo):

Floor console Cutlas10

Now, regarding your inner seat belts...the correct belts for swivels ARE tall (approx. 16" lg) and encased in a plastic sleeve so they don't fold over when not in use. They simply pivot on the mtg stud. This is what they look like:

Floor console G3belt10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Ugh... all that sounds legit... and those are the seat belts I have although they flare out more on the bottom... don't like them too much though... thanks for the info!

Yes the holes you talked about being present are there, and the ones for the brackets we made are taken care of... I don't know why the console is offset to the left but we won't do anything with it for a few days, so we can think about it some more.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:50 pm

I looked at my Monte and the console is pretty much centered evenly between the swivel buckets. Depending on whether it's the shifter mtg plate or the front storage box holes that are askew causing the console to be off-center at the back, simply drill new holes or slot the ones in the shifter bracket to allow things to set straight.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down