G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trunk Water Leak

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Trunk Water Leak Empty Trunk Water Leak

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:59 pm

I have been dormant on this site for some time, as my car sat in storage for the past two years.  I have the Malibu back out and driving again.  I noticed after getting caught in the rain the left rear trunk well got filled with water.  The trunk floor was dry and nothing else seems wet.  

Anyone have any ideas where this water would be coming from?  My only guess is the back window, but I though the floor would be wet too.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Trunk Water Leak Empty Re: Trunk Water Leak

Post by k-town73ss Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Mine was leaking around the rear quarter glasses and running down. They use a windshield seal and clips hold them in. probably more posts on the subject. Cheers
k-town73ss
k-town73ss
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:44 am

I never thought of the side glass. Although my car has the small opera windows. So if they were leaking, I am not sure if they'd go into the trunk well.

Anyone else deal with this problem? What's the best way to find a leak?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 am

My experience in finding waterleaks is to stuff yourself in the trunk with a flashlight, and have somebody hose the car Down while watching from inside where the water comes from. It could could come from a million places. Even a tiny pinhole close to a wheel that is sloshing water around when driving can cause a mess.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Thank you for the reply. I will try this out when I wash the car next. I don't think it's from the wheel wells as it leaks worst when its stationary in the rain.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:19 am

Most of the trunk leaks I've had in the Malibu's and Laguna's I've owned came from the rear glass. The butyl rope sealant that the factory used gets hard and loses its bond with the window. Then the water seeps through and eventual leaks into the trunk area. This was evident on the last car I parted out. When I was removing the rear glass I only cut through the top and the sides of the butyl and the bottom was already free. And of course the trunk was rusted as a result. Fastest way to find if this is the problem on your car is to spray soapy water on the outside bottom of the rear glass. Then take your air hose from a compressor and force air from the inside bottom. If you see bubbles then you have your answer. Hope this helps.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down