Proportioning valve reset

Go down

Proportioning valve reset

Post by ant7377 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 pm

I just changed front brake hoses and calipers on my 73 Monte. When I went to bleed them it tripped the God forsaken proportioning valve. Now I can't get any fluid out of the front bleeders.How do I reset it? Any tricks?
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Proportioning valve reset

Post by Mcarlo77 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Did you try opening the bleeders at the rear wheels and stomping on the brake pedal to center the inner piston?  I also seem to remember that if the front brakes lost pressure, you can push in on the button on the end of the prop valve to center the piston.  If neither works, you may have to remove the prop valve and try centering it with a pick by removing the brake light switch and sliding it over.  That's only going to work if you can still see the notch on the inner piston AND it's not so tight that it will move.  Worst case scenario, you replace the prop valve and install a plug that is available in place of the brake light switch before you bleed the brakes.  After bleeding, remove the plug and reinstall the switch.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:18 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Did you try opening the bleeders at the rear wheels and stomping on the brake pedal to center the inner piston?  I also seem to remember that if the front brakes lost pressure, you can push in on the button on the end of the prop valve to center the piston.  If neither works, you may have to remove the prop valve and try centering it with a pick by removing the brake light switch and sliding it over.  That's only going to work if you can still see the notch on the inner piston AND it's not so tight that it will move.  Worst case scenario, you replace the prop valve and install a plug that is available in place of the brake light switch before you bleed the brakes.  After bleeding, remove the plug and reinstall the switch.
I just tried pushing on the button without opening the rear bleeders,didn't move- but I am going to try that this evening. I may have to get a new one. I will get that plug too.
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:23 am

I had a similar thing happen when my rear brake metal line along frame sprung a leak due to rust. My prop valve has been tripped ever since. Struggled with trying to recenter it and I noticed that underneath the button’s protective rubber cover was rust, and the button seemed frozen with rust. I am going to replace the whole valve with a new one this winter.
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 am

I think that is what happens after all the years...the piston gets a little rusty inside and won't slide back and forth with ease as designed.  Remember to pay attention to the type of brake warning switch that is supplied with the new Prop Valve.  There are two different styles being sold and only one will connect to our factory wire connector without modification.  I bought the Inline Tube PR102 and it worked perfectly.  Also note...the original switch does not fit into these aftermarket valves in case you're thinking of buying a cheaper brand without the switch figuring you can install your old one.

Here's the plug that can be installed before bleeding:

Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 am

thanks that is great info!
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am

Thank you, let you know what happens. Going to try opening rear bleeders first.
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Well opening the rear bleeders and hitting the brakes hard did not work. I ordered the new valve from inline tube should have it next week. Fun. I hate dealing with brake lines. Ugh!
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Yeah, I hear 'ya.  The brakes were bad on my Laguna when I bought it so, I went ahead and replaced all the lines, MC, wheel cylinders, calipers, hoses and prop valve at the same time as the pads/shoes in hopes I wouldn't have to deal with any of it again.  Good luck.
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:00 pm

I got the old one out button was pushed out so that was definatly the problem. Real pain in the rump to get the lines from the master off and I want to reuse them so i took the valve and those lines out together from under the car. On my 73 there is a bolt and little bracket behind the booster that has to come off then I put the valve in a vice and gently got them off.
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down