G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manual Radio Antenna

+2
Mcarlo77
77camino
6 posters

Go down

Manual Radio Antenna Empty Manual Radio Antenna

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:26 pm

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/b-NOS-73-81-Impala-Camaro-Caprice-Nova-RARE-GM-ACCESSORY-Radio-Antenna-994993-/322322990039

Has anyone actually ever seen a G3 with a fender/qtr panel mounted antenna? Note the mention of our cars in the application part of this listing. I just pulled a working power antenna off a '77 Seville and got me to thinking whether it would be an improvement over the windshield antennas. Would it look odd on our cars? Thoughts....
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Manual Radio Antenna Empty Re: Manual Radio Antenna

Post by Joe73 Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 pm

I've never seen a G3 with a fender or quarter panel factory antenna. I did see a dual quarter panel setup once that someone added. Wasnt for me.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:45 pm

Manual Radio Antenna Kimg0511
Manual Radio Antenna Kimg0512
I didn't want to put one on my fender or quarter. I did a lot of searching and came up with a trunk mounted idea. It works pretty good too.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Sold a 76 Malibu a couple years back that had a factory looking hole in the front passenger side fender and no antenna in the windshield. So I'm assuming it came from the factory like this.

Manual Radio Antenna 20160811
Manual Radio Antenna 20160812
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:16 pm

What do you know...they did exist!  Not sure I have the 'nads to cut a hole in the fender even if I thought it might be something I'd like to add.  At least a fully retractable one would be hidden when not it use (until the motor or belt broke and left it stuck in the up position...lol!).

Last edited by Mcarlo77 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 pm

I still dont think a 73-77 A body came with a fender mounted antenna. The curvature in that area would not let the antenna base sit flat on its gasket. I dont think it ever came that way. When I get a chance I'll check my 1974 original parts manual to see if they list one.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Not sure if they ever came with a antenna on the fender or not, but when you wanted to replace the windshield you could order it with or without antenna. That might have been because of a radio delete option?
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm

I knew a guy back in the 70’s that did not want the crappy factory radio so he ordered it delete. Boy was he surprised that he got a windshield without an antenna when he tried to install an aftermarket stereo.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Manual Radio Antenna 76_mal10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:23 am

I just checked my 1974 GM parts manual and it does show a fender mounted antenna for the 73-74 model years.  Part number 994444. So it must have continued through the rest of the G3 production years.  

I'm going to have to take a look at my 1973 Assembly manual and see if it shows a wire routing for the antenna.  I'd like to know how they got it inside.

In my opinion, a fender mounted antenna does not look good on our cars.  LOL

Here's the parts manual pic for part number 994555 fender antenna.  

Manual Radio Antenna Antenn10

As for the 994993 in the ebay auction above.  This is unusual, but it lists it as a Dealer installed Accessory for the 77, 78, 78 model years BUT ITS LISTED IN THE 1974 ACCESSORY Catalog.  They show a manual. CB and power model, but notice the pic for the manual one on the right side of the page.  It appears to have the curvature to fit the top of a G3 fender correctly.

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=189027
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:34 am

Nice sleuthing, Joe! I tend to agree a mounted antenna might take away from the sportiness of a coupe. Not so sure that would be the case with a sedan. Actually, on that pic of the wagon, it doesn't look at all out of place IMO. But, even muscle cars all thru the '60's had them and nobody thought twice about it (I always thought the twin antennas on the early '60's Impalas' gtr panels were pretty cool!). Guess it's all in what people get used to seeing...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:39 am

I agree. First thing that grabs me about that wagon pic is that the antenna is crooked.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Good to know Joe. I like how it even lists an antenna that's roof mounted, bumper mounted, and lid mounted.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:49 pm

I figured as popular as CB's were back in the 70's that GM had to offer an external antenna of some sort. Thanks for verifying this Joe!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Anytime guys. I enjoy scouring the original parts and assembly manuals. Happy holidays.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm almost 100% sure that the antenna on my driver side rear quarter is an aftermarket power antenna that has never worked since I got the car. Never been an issue tho as I don't need an antenna to hear the exhaust note Smile
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down