G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have factory 4 speed parts

3 posters

Go down

Anyone have factory 4 speed parts  Empty Anyone have factory 4 speed parts

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:08 am

Looking for some help. The manual transmission parts for our cars out there are no very accurate I think. Can anyone provide me with pictures of factory 4 speed parts for our cars. Ex: zbar and fork etc. and maybe some measurements. I know it’s a far stretch since there weren’t many 4 speed cars produced. Any help is appreciated and if anyone is sellin these parts I’d like to buy as well.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Anyone have factory 4 speed parts  Empty nos shifter nob

Post by 454fourspeedss Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:50 am

there is a 73 nos shifter nob on ebay right now

454fourspeedss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Anyone have factory 4 speed parts  Empty Re: Anyone have factory 4 speed parts

Post by Joe73 Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 am

I have all my factory parts out of the car and should be able to help you.

What kind of problems are you having?? If your having engagement or disengagement problems, did you dial in the bellhousing and do a parallel check flywheel face to bellhousing face on both surfaces? If everything else is ok, those are two issues that need to be addressed. Are you using a real bronze pilot bushing thats NON magnetic? Very important and not that easy to find.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 am

Joe73 wrote:I have all my factory parts out of the car and should be able to help you.  

What kind of problems are you having??   If your having engagement or disengagement problems, did you dial in the bellhousing and do a parallel check flywheel face to bellhousing face on both surfaces?  If everything else is ok, those are two issues that need to be addressed.  Are you using a real bronze pilot bushing thats NON magnetic?  Very important and not that easy to find.

No issues right now with the linkage or anything. I just would like pictures of the original stuff and maybe measurements of the z-bar to get a comparison to the ones I have.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:41 am

Sure. Heres what I have.

My original 73 Z bar main pivot tube measures 8 3/4" in overall length.
Measuring up from the tube to center of the pedal pushrod hole is 3 3/4"
Measuring down from the tube to the center of the adjustment rod hole is 4 1/4". Factory part number is 3994486.

Clutch forks had a change over in 72-73 but it really makes no difference, you can use either. Factory fork is part number 3892632 and it has been superseded I would assume. That part number measures about 10 1/4" overall and is considered the OLD style. The newer style measures about 11" overall. GM switched to the slightly longer one because it gave more leverage hence easier pedal feel. The newer style falls undeer part number 5014090 and also Dorman part number 14550.

As for the bearing end of the fork. The small thin metal tabs go INSIDE the throwout bearings groove. If you dont put it in that way it will rattle and jiggle.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:47 am

Thank you joe, my z-bar measured exactly what you have. Currently I’m running the longer clutch fork and I think I’ll stick with that. I also have the 632 shorter one but idk if I’ll run that one
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:49 am

Stick with the longer one. Better leverage and it also has the "ears" for more strength before the curve.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down