G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 Elco wiper switch

3 posters

Go down

1977 Elco wiper switch Empty 1977 Elco wiper switch

Post by pila Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 am

I believe the W/S washer section of my wiper switch has failed.. Gotta do more checking, but meanwhile I was looking for a replacement for it.  The dash has to  come apart to get at it, so I'm looking  !!  Had that dash panel apart way too many times it seems. .....Anyone have a good wiper switch ?

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

1977 Elco wiper switch Empty Re: 1977 Elco wiper switch

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:36 am

I have several of them. Do you have the standard wiper switch or the one with the pulse wiper option?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:39 pm

I've got a couple, also...but, are not tested to verify 100% working order.

Might be a good time to consider upgrading to the pulse wiper system?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks for the replies !  I don't have a pulse type wiper system, just the two-speed type.
Gimme a price and I'll send for one!   I have a spare heater/AC blower switch but I believe I gave the spare wiper switch away ! Smile
The pulse type would be fine, but I don't need any extra work right now !!!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 pm

Good news ! Nothing wrong with the switch ! So, are the parts available for a pulse wiper system ?? Haven't ever seen one, and I've had two chevelles and four Elcos, all '73 to '77. Must be sort of a rare option (?)

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:03 am

pila wrote:Good news !  Nothing wrong with the switch !  So, are the parts available for a pulse wiper system ?? Haven't ever seen one, and I've had two chevelles and four Elcos, all '73 to '77.  Must be sort of a rare option (?)

Yes, they are somewhat rare depending on what part of the country the vehicle was sold. Here in the Houston area they were a little more common since we typically get a lot of rainfall. My 75 Laguna has them and the 77 El Camino I sold a few years back had them as well. There are 2 different designs of the switches. The first version was available in 75 and 76 which I have pictured below. It has a slide knob with a separate washer pump button. The 77 version is a single round knob that you turn clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the amount of delay you want to be set. Then you would depress is for the washer function. Here's a side by side comparison.

1977 Elco wiper switch 20190112
1977 Elco wiper switch 20190110
1977 Elco wiper switch 20190111
1977 Elco wiper switch 20190113
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 am

And, of course, you need the special wiring pigtail that runs out to the optional wiper motor designed for pulse wiper function.  I do believe any pulse wiper motor from any GM car thru the '70's will work.  They all mount up just like the std wiper motor.  It's an easy upgrade if you have the parts.  Recently added it to the Laguna.  I've only found maybe one car among many dozens here in MN with it.  Oddly, I usually find them at DVAP in AZ when I'm down there.

Last edited by Mcarlo77 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks for the info & pics !! I don't think I want to get into the pulse system at this point in time. I'm trying to fix other things, like the 1-2 shift on the trans, which has lag etc..more fun to come !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down