G3 convertible!!!!!

Go down

G3 convertible!!!!! Empty G3 convertible!!!!!

Post by FumiyoG3 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 am

FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

G3 convertible!!!!! Empty Re: G3 convertible!!!!!

Post by thatfnthing on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:37 am

I've long thought about making mine into a ragtop, and even done some research on what kind of donor car would be needed for an appropriate size and shape top. I know I'd need a new frame that I could beef up first, though, which is why I haven't done it yet.

I wonder if this guy thought to reinforce the frame before he cut the top off? Clearly the doors open without the car folding in half, so maybe...
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 58

Back to top Go down

G3 convertible!!!!! Empty convert

Post by Limey SE on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:22 pm

Always loved this one California lovin

G3 convertible!!!!! 41717010

Management
Management

Street Cred : 91

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:58 pm

The white one in Phoenix was listed on Craigslist a year or two ago for $1000 and it was in better shape then.

Boxing the frame would make it plenty strong. I had one with the top cut off and there wasn't noticeable flex with body / frame. Doors opened and closed but it was getting parted out so was never on the road.

After seeing this white one, I also thought about a convertible. Fold-able top options wouldn't would be the problem. Working out nice tidy door glass seals would be the tough task with the door glass window shape in our cars.

Thanks -

jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:48 am

Agreed.  It was fairly obvious that a top of the appropriate length or width wasn't going to be too difficult, but rather that the sail panel area was the problem.  Earlier cars predominantly had a quarter window back there, requiring either creating one for the Monte (ugh) or trying to figure out how to add material to the top in that area and then sealing it against the side window.  I was actually looking at the late model Camaro, since that top seems to solve that exact problem.  Thought I could at least see how they did it and copy it somehow, but then I bought a house, so the project got shelved.  I'd still like to tackle it someday.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 am

I'm not a fan of the whole G3 convertible thing but I agree, you need to find a top with the correct length and width. Just a thought, the 1985 eldorado convertible has quarter glass but very small, the length of the doors is pretty long like our cars and the sail panel area is pretty big as well. Might be worth getting some measurements on that to compare. Just a thought to offer. Have a great day.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:09 am

Im not a fan of the convertible look on our cars. It makes them look buthered somehow. Also the few convertible camaro and trans am that is out there looks Wrong in my opinion. However i have been toying with the idea of putting targa roof in my chevelle, after seeing an episode of Columbo with a 76-77 pontiac with targa and vinylroof on the backhalf of the roof i thought it was Way cool. It looks so over the top somehow in a Way i like. 
Does anyone know if the hatches from a trans am/ camaro would fit our cars, i mean the curves is the same or is the few targa roofed g3 s special in there own Way.

Im asking since a targa roof from trans am is something i can find easy enough even here in Copenhagen. And i like the look enough to seriusly consider the task of cutting my roof ( omg) i must be stupid. Regards Henrik.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down