G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW Vintage tires on Laguna now

+3
ant7377
Mcarlo77
thatfnthing
7 posters

Go down

NEW Vintage tires on Laguna now Empty NEW Vintage tires on Laguna now

Post by S3SS Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am

A couple of weeks ago installed four new vintage tires and replaced the 40 year olds on Laguna. Now I can travel without worries....NEW Vintage tires on Laguna now Df83ace0b8d11f40457c34004efa46b0
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

NEW Vintage tires on Laguna now Empty Re: NEW Vintage tires on Laguna now

Post by thatfnthing Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 am

They look great! Where did you get them?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am

With such low miles I wanted to keep the factory look. Goodyear at the Goodyear plant in OHIO USA made (not offshore) reproduces these tires using the original moulds. Only a few select vendors offer them. https://widewhitetires.com/musclecar.html I can not say enough how happy I am with their service and the multiple questions that were answered. Linda and Doug great people..... linda@motorspot.com
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:05 pm

Tires look awesome on your car!  But, if you're going for the factory look, didn't they all come with thin whitewalls?  Or, were the raised white letters an option?  Guess I never really thought about it.  BTW...I hear you about peace of mind with new tires.  Ones on my Monte were 22 yrs old and still looked like new with approx. 14K miles on them before I swapped them out with new ones last Fall for the same reason.  And people say you should replace every 5-6 yrs....lol! Still have the original unused spare in the trunk...as well as another unused one just like it I bought from a guy several yrs ago. They still look as new and pliable as when they left the factory.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks. Yes options are black wall, thin white stripe or Raised white letter for our cars... Yes the others on car were still in real great shape... its just not worth wrecking the car or hurting yourself or others...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:24 pm

They look great! Original tires make the car. They make a new thin stripe WW too for our cars.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 am

S3SS, are your rally’s the same color as the body? Did they come from the factory that way? I’m considering going back to rallys and have often wondered about matching them to the body color.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:26 am

Yes the Laguna rally rims were always body coloured matched.
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:35 am

My 2 cents......be wary of older tires and highway speeds.

My daily driver is a 95 Olds 88 that I purchased with all documents. Mint condition leather and all power car with 49,000 miles. I call it my daily beater !! But too clean to be called a beater. But..... About , 8,000 miles into ownership the right rear thread separate at 60mph. Tires where 10 years old per date code on sidewall. It did do some damage before I got it stopped. Repaired now...but ....it happens.

Second experience. Bought 2000 Monte Carlo in NC with 60,000 miles two years ago. Tires where cheap replacements. In route to Indianapolis....blew left front. No damage as the car started shaking violently...able to get slowed. But , the car had been sitting about 3 years with little activity. Outside , under a carport.

I know regard old tires as an enemy!!
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 am

Yes... I had one of the rear tires on the laguna begin to shake and thump on the highway as soon as I got on. I was able to pull over before any damage to body or rim. I will never with OLD tires go on the highway again. A scary place to be against a guard rail changing a tire is not for the faint of heart let alone wondering if someone would hit you. Lesson learned....
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1975 S3 Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Looks great man, we talked about these tires at W&W.  I still have that 76 dealer brochure for you. Car comes out of storage April 6, new engine build starts April 7. Lets make sure we do Wings and Wheels 2019! And now that you can travel.....Ben Mar Canada day 2019! You were worried about your tires 2 years ago at W&W...did you put new ones on the El Camino also
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks. Yes ordering for El camino in the spring four more. Will in the fall get four with thin stripe for Olympic Chevelle. Yes need to hit a few more shows this year...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down