G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Junk thermostat

3 posters

Go down

Junk thermostat Empty Junk thermostat

Post by 73ss Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Last fall, the old thermostat in my car started getting lazy. I decided to replace it with a "high performance" 180 degree Mr gasket t'stat. What a piece of junk! When I ran the car last fall I noticed it was running just a touch cooler than the old one. When I got the car out this year, It would barley heat up to 140 deg. I pulled it out and put it in a pot of water with a food thermometer and it started to open at 140. I let it cool down and it stayed open down to 100 deg. A total waste of $16. I'll get a new stant and put back in. Do yourselves a favor and avoid. I should have listened to the many on-line reviews stating that it was junk.

What are some of you guys running for a t'stat?  180 or 195? I like to run the 180. With a 195 I'll get some pinging on a hot day.Junk thermostat Dscf2711
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Junk thermostat Empty Re: Junk thermostat

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:00 pm

180 Stewart or Robertshaw
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Thumb through this long read. Gives you the part numbers for good thermostats from Auto Zone believe it or not. Supposedly flow the better than any of the performance ones. https://www.chevelles.com/forums/201-2014/606465-cooling-101-setup-keeps-old-school-bbc-sbc-motors-nice-cool.html
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down