G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What brand of interior paint to use ??

+5
S3SS
Joe73
impalamonte
Limey SE
lagunaman
9 posters

Go down

What brand of interior paint to use ?? Empty What brand of interior paint to use ??

Post by lagunaman Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Okay I have an ad looking for plastic parts of the interior . One suggestion made was to replace the pieces with another color than white . Has anyone found a paint to use that is really close match to the factory off white or white ? Where could I buy the paint ? Thanks

lagunaman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

What brand of interior paint to use ?? Empty Re: What brand of interior paint to use ??

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:30 am

If you have an Orileys auto they mix paint as long as you have the paint code to use

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

What brand of interior paint to use ?? Empty Re: What brand of interior paint to use ??

Post by impalamonte Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 am

Check with the SEM website.

They have color cards for GM. Will most likely get you close as you have noted.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:49 am

tcp global shows the color charts for all years. They mix up SEM for interior paint. I've purchased from them.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 pm

tcp global were great to work with and great quality... Color is right on...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaptiah Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:01 pm

I got mine at OReillys ... I am using a custom mixed SEM Coatings ...

Zaptiah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat May 04, 2019 9:42 pm

My money is on SEM too, custom or off the shelf it's a great product, but do take the time to clean, and then clean again before you paint.

One little bit of information I want to share, and I'm not sure where I got it from, but worked great.

If you have a texture issue, spray the piece with rocker guard, let it dry, give it a little bit of a sand, and anther cleaning and then paint, you get the factory texture you know and love. We did this with the swivel seat backs as the ones I'd found had a some nice long gouges in them, not too deep but long. We sanded them down to get rid of the gouges then as above.

enjoy
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Great tip on the rocker guard to mimic the original texture, Dino!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun May 05, 2019 6:50 pm

I haven't tried to paint a color plastic piece white, but I do second the importance of the preparation. I have had good luck with the duplicolor wax and grease remover for plastic. It smells different than the typical wax and grease remover. You definitely need to be outdoors to use it because the odor is pretty strong.

My original interior parts (blue/white) were spray bombed with a gray interior dye. I doubt there was proper prep because as I was taking it apart, I could tell they did this job with everything installed in the car and just masked off what didn't need to be gray. It was put on thick enough in some places that it looked like a plastic dip was done on it, but that duplicolor wax and grease remover did a fantastic job of removing the old dye.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaptiah Sun May 05, 2019 7:51 pm

For what it's worth I use Trisodium Phosphate to clean any plastic parts I want o paint/dye. You can get it at most local hardware places (Lowes) and it shouldn't harm your plastics. It will strip every once of oils and residues off there in a jiff ...

Zaptiah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon May 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Great tip on the rocker guard to mimic the original texture, Dino!

Thanks Steve, just sharing what I still remember Smile it is Steve, right ?
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down