G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering box upgrades

4 posters

Go down

Steering box upgrades  Empty Steering box upgrades

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:52 pm

What steering box upgrades do you guys run. I know people run the Jeep Grand Cherokee boxes with good success. I want tighter feel with more feedback, steering feels really reactive but it doesn’t feel heavy enough.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Steering box upgrades  Empty Re: Steering box upgrades

Post by 73ss Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:34 pm

86 Monte Carlo SS. 2.5 turns lock to lock.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:01 pm

73ss wrote:86 Monte Carlo SS.  2.5 turns lock to lock.

Is it pretty much bolt in?

Would this one work

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-36g0104/year/1986/make/chevrolet/model/monte-carlo
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Yes it's a direct bolt in as far as to the frame and the pitt-man arm.

The lines are O ring, You'll need to use adapters or change the pressure fitting at the back of the pump over to O ring style, and use a O ring style pressure line. Return line You'll need to grab the line fitting from a donor car, The rest is hose clamps.

I can't remember what I used for the rag joint. It's been about 15 years now. You'll need to find one for the late model splines on the input shaft to mate to the old style column. I think I used one from a 80's square body pick-up.

The one you show looks like it's for the standard monte. The SS boxes have the feel you are looking for. I think someone has a link on the forum here with the different boxes. I think 80's z-28's also use the same box.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:14 pm

There is more than just lock to lock for the "feel". You also can change how much pressure the pump puts out. Pirate 4x4 has a lot of information about boosting pump pressure that you can also use to decrease the pressure.

There is also some internal calibrations in the steering gear that regulates how much torque is required before the pump pressure is even used. Most people won't care to get into the box for this, but the information is out there if you care to look into it.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:11 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:There is more than just lock to lock for the "feel". You also can change how much pressure the pump puts out. Pirate 4x4 has a lot of information about boosting pump pressure that you can also use to decrease the pressure.

There is also some internal calibrations in the steering gear that regulates how much torque is required before the pump pressure is even used. Most people won't care to get into the box for this, but the information is out there if you care to look into it.

Is it on the forum? I wouldn’t mind “tuning” on the box to see if I can get it feeling better without spending big money.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am

There isn't a dedicated thread on this forum that I'm aware of. The pump pressure information is easy to find, but the gear box info is limited. I only found it because I got nerdy about this stuff a few years back.

My basic recollection is there is a particular part known as a torque rod IIRC, that is the tuning point in the box. The larger diameter rod needs more torque input from the steering wheel before allowing pressure assist from the pump.

Our boxes, of course, would have the smallest diameter torque rod. The Monte box has a slightly larger one. IIRC, the police car boxes from the 90's had the largest rods, but didn't always have the lock to lock ratio. I can't confirm this at all right now, and I didn't save any links from when I did all this research, but if you search along those parameters you should be able to find what I found.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 am

My .02 cents....

Look at page 4 of my post.

May help in making a decision on what direction you want your upgrade to go.

https://www.g3gm.com/t8709p75-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down